Owling Valentines Day

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Without romantic dinner plans, Marianne and I took a drive into the mountains on Valentines Day and snapped a few pictures. On the way home, I asked if she wanted to see where I hunt for great grey owls in the foothills NW of Cochrane Alberta. As we were driving, I explained what to look for: large shapes moving or perched relatively low or on fenceposts along the road. No sooner said than we saw this one sitting pretty on a pasture fence. It was hunting the pasture and its mate was calling somewhere back in the forest.

Turned out to be without question my most successful day "owling" since starting this hobby. The light from the setting sun was perfect and I literally got hundreds of keepers. My favorites keep changing but here are a few.

As to the romantic dinner, no worries, we took a raincheck and enjoyed Hys Steakhouse in Whistler a few weeks later - raw oysters for an appetizer, fantastic steak and prawns, medium rare and creme brûlée shared for dessert. All washed down with several Manhattans for me and red wine for her.

Anyway, both days were great days.
_1010972-Edit-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
_1011012-Enhanced-NR.jpg
_1011048.jpg
_1011236-Edit.jpg
_1011267-Edit-Edit.jpg
_1011406-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Without romantic dinner plans, Marianne and I took a drive into the mountains on Valentines Day and snapped a few pictures. On the way home, I asked if she wanted to see where I hunt for great grey owls in the foothills NW of Cochrane Alberta. As we were driving, I explained what to look for: large shapes moving or perched relatively low or on fenceposts along the road. No sooner said than we saw this one sitting pretty on a pasture fence. It was hunting the pasture and its mate was calling somewhere back in the forest.

Turned out to be without question my most successful day "owling" since starting this hobby. The light from the setting sun was perfect and I literally got hundreds of keepers. My favorites keep changing but here are a few.

As to the romantic dinner, no worries, we took a raincheck and enjoyed Hys Steakhouse in Whistler a few weeks later - raw oysters for an appetizer, fantastic steak and prawns, medium rare and creme caramel shared for dessert. All washed down with several Manhattans for me and red wine for her.

Anyway, both days were great days.View attachment 92323View attachment 92325View attachment 92326View attachment 92327View attachment 92328View attachment 92329
these are epic! I'd love to see one of these up close like this.

Back