Owls in Florida

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

In February I asked the group for suggestions as I went to the Vero Beach area to photograph Osprey (fantastic trip) and got some great feedback and suggestions. I am returning to the same area next Friday for a long weekend and will be shooting Osprey nesting behavior Saturday morning. I have all day Sunday to work with and was hoping for some tips on finding owls...I love them all so any suggestions would be great. Thanks

The easiest owls to reliable find are burrowing owls. If you search this forum you will find threads which discuss the best locations to find them but my favorite spot is Vista View Park in Pembroke Pines. Your timing is good as May is a good time to see the chicks. As far as Great Horned, Barred and Screech owls local tips are the best way to find them. They are normally hit or miss and often perched with their eyes closed during the day. Often they become more active about an hour before sunset and you can get good shots. I’m still looking for Barn Owls myself so if you find some let me know!

Cape Coral has some very well-marked and well-known burrowing owl nests. Circle B Bar Ranch and Reserve in Lakeland has a lot of barred owls including multiple nests. There has been (don't know if it's still there) a GHO nest at Ft. DeSoto.

Cape Coral has some very well-marked and well-known burrowing owl nests. Circle B Bar Ranch and Reserve in Lakeland has a lot of barred owls including multiple nests. There has been (don't know if it's still there) a GHO nest at Ft. DeSoto.

My understanding is the Cape Coral nests have all been destroyed when the entire city was flooded in the last hurricane. The ocean came in across Cape Coral, into Fort Myers, and all the way to the highway (i75).

The easiest owls to reliable find are burrowing owls. If you search this forum you will find threads which discuss the best locations to find them but my favorite spot is Vista View Park in Pembroke Pines. Your timing is good as May is a good time to see the chicks. As far as Great Horned, Barred and Screech owls local tips are the best way to find them. They are normally hit or miss and often perched with their eyes closed during the day. Often they become more active about an hour before sunset and you can get good shots. I’m still looking for Barn Owls myself so if you find some let me know!
Thanks so much for the info...will let you know about the barn owls if I come across any.

Hey...just returned from Florida. Did not have time to travel for the Burrowing Owls but did go out on Blue Cypress with captain Roy Bass...got some Osprey with chicks but the highlights were two Barred Owls captured in flight coming right at me and the perching close by and snuggling. The other huge highlight was capturing an image of a Barn Owl...missed the in flight shot but got a very nice perch! Obviously he cannot guarantee but it was very cool. Look him up.

Back