Pacific-slope Flycatcher (Soon to be merged with Cordilleran Flycatcher as “Western Flycatcher”)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BAL Land

These guys are always tough to get photos of, they’re either too high up or don’t stay in one spot long. Got lucky with this one when it landed out in the open, but only for 3 seconds. I didn’t have any time to play around with different angles, so the background isn’t as good as it probably could’ve been.

From SoCal a few days ago. Critiques appreciated! Handheld, walk aroud shot. Processed in adobe photoshop express. Not much of a crop.

Canon eos R7, sigma 150-600mm C, 1/500 at f/7.1, ISO 1250. Image downsized for posting.
1684953924956.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nice & sharp! The head twist allows for the viewer to see the back/tail feathers while still interacting with the eyes - so that helps. Maybe a tad bit overexposed - but not by much.

That's a great capture. I have been able to do some comparisons between the "pacific slope" and "cordilleran" flycatchers, and it's no wonder they will be merged. Other than range and call it's almost impossible to distinguish between the two. Here are examples of "cordilleran" from my place in Colorado, and "pacific slope" from a few days ago in SoCal. I'm glad to see your post because it gives more opportunity for comparison.

The first one is the Colorado "cordilleran".

Z09_5014-2.jpg

The second one is the "pacific slope" from SoCal.

NZ9_1562-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Back