Painted Bunting

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Spent some time with painted buntings in Texas, and like the sharpness on this guy, just wondering if the background is too distracting, in particular the lower right part of the image where there were leaves blowing in the wind.

Thanks!
Paul

Z9, 600 TC VR S, 1/800, 600mm, f4, ISO 560

Attachments

• z painted bunting 8.jpg
    z painted bunting 8.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 217
Hardly! I never would have even noticed the blurry leaves until you mentioned them. The light is on the bird, it is nicely highlighted. The leaves show its environment. Amazing photo.

Last edited:
Reactions: seh
Agree with Alan. The leave colors compliment the bird. You migh try darkening the background a tad to make the bird stand out a bit more and see if you like that. Very nice image as is.

Spent some time with painted buntings in Texas, and like the sharpness on this guy, just wondering if the background is too distracting, in particular the lower right part of the image where there were leaves blowing in the wind.

Thanks!
Paul

Z9, 600 TC VR S, 1/800, 600mm, f4, ISO 560
Beautiful Paul. Looks great to me👍👍👍

Beautifully done. I have nothing to add as far as critique. To me the background is not distracting. Did you darken the background? If so maybe keep the background a touch brighter, but that is just how I see it.

Beautifully done. I have nothing to add as far as critique. To me the background is not distracting. Did you darken the background? If so maybe keep the background a touch brighter, but that is just how I see it.
Thank you, I just darkened it a bit - I was just obsessed with the leaves in the lower right part of the frame, but I dont think they are too bad - there are so many leaves around it's hard to get these guys on the perfect perch, but I prefer them more at eye level then atop the tree (where they often are) becuase then the sky can get a little blown out, and I like the green matching the green parts of the bird. Thanks for the comments.

It's an amazing image with lots of emotion. The leaves in my book add to the environment part of the photo and make it better. We all have seen many "bird on a stick" poses and this is not one of them because of the environment. I can tell you that if it was my image, I'd consider it one of my best.

just wondering if the background is too distracting, in particular the lower right part of the image where there were leaves blowing in the wind.
Very nice image, I don't find the background distracting at all and not sure you even had to darken it. The bird grabs my attention and the pose and glance are fantastic.

Really nice image!

We often forget "WHAT is my subject?" We worry too much about peripheral items, which can be eliminated or added by the wizardry found in post-processing software, if we want to eliminate "undesirable elements" or "add drama"! GREAT photeaux!:cool:

Back