If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BD5_4340-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
We see Painted Grasshoppers occasionally around the house and the opportunity to photograph one was my "gateway drug" excuse to get a real camera. Shot with a D500 and 200-500 f/5.6: 500mm, f8, 1/200, ISO 1250 in natural light.

Great shot!

How long did it sit there posing for you?
Thanks, John!

Normally, we might spot one or two per year while out for our typical mid-morning walk on weekends. Under those conditions they are fairly active and rarely stay in one place for more than a minute. This one was on our doorstep at dawn and I didn't see it move before we left the house for the day.

I have tried in vain to locate Wright's False Willow, which is said to be the exclusive habitat of the nymphs in Arizona, near our house; Surprising, since I was able to somewhat-reliably locate nymphs in one location for a short time this year. Arizona is pretty diverse and we are on the Colorado Plateau.