Paracord solution to tame cold aluminum monopod

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Since first viewing and reading about the using a monopod and Wimberley MonoGimbal head I’ve been using this as my primary setup while out shooting birds. Love the stability and portability of the setup but have had one serious complaint over the last few years with an aluminum stick - cold weather seems to be a magnet drawn to the aluminum. My nature hand hold is below the rubber upper grip and it dose not matter which glove I wear my hands are always feeling the cold radiate through at bone numbing degrees.
Wanted a solution that was practical while being durable and I decided to wrap the top portion of my monopod with paracord. Today was the first cold weather test run at 26 degrees Fahrenheit on the shores of Lake Erie. One hour out with medium weight gloves and I found the monopod comfortable to handle, carry and hold.

Attachments

• IMG_2521.jpeg
    IMG_2521.jpeg
    951.3 KB · Views: 129
My paracord solution out in the “wilds”. Also added photo to original post. This project took approximately 1/2 to complete. One added benefit is that I have yards of cordage available for emergency use if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_2521.jpeg
    IMG_2521.jpeg
    951.3 KB · Views: 92
Thanks for the pic - I'm really getting sold on this idea. How do you keep it from unraveling? Just tuck and knot, glue, or...?
Found a YouTube video showing how to wrap handles of tools (Hammers), I just expanded on the length of handle. There is a length of cord that runs the length of the tube that I over-wrapped and pulled internal length to tighten. Best example I can think of is tying a fishing knot.

Found a YouTube video showing how to wrap handles of tools (Hammers), I just expanded on the length of handle. There is a length of cord that runs the length of the tube that I over-wrapped and pulled internal length to tighten. Best example I can think of is tying a fishing knot.
Ahh, that's cool and it makes it so you can use the paracord if the need ever arises (I've yet to have that need pop up, but who knows?)

Ahh, that's cool and it makes it so you can use the paracord if the need ever arises (I've yet to have that need pop up, but who knows?)
Yes, you can grab the end of the paracord as your gear is tumbling off the cliff... o_O I'm thinking of wrapping it leaving loops every couple of inches to thread my USB C cord and/or to hang pouches. Seriously, it is a great solution and could be invaluable if an emergency presents itself.

Since first viewing and reading about the using a monopod and Wimberley MonoGimbal head I’ve been using this as my primary setup while out shooting birds. Love the stability and portability of the setup but have had one serious complaint over the last few years with an aluminum stick - cold weather seems to be a magnet drawn to the aluminum. My nature hand hold is below the rubber upper grip and it dose not matter which glove I wear my hands are always feeling the cold radiate through at bone numbing degrees.
Wanted a solution that was practical while being durable and I decided to wrap the top portion of my monopod with paracord. Today was the first cold weather test run at 26 degrees Fahrenheit on the shores of Lake Erie. One hour out with medium weight gloves and I found the monopod comfortable to handle, carry and hold.
Nicely done!

I've whipped tool handles for many applications including the wrenches we use during winter lift evacuation rescue work at the ski area. We also sometimes use it to add hanging loops to tools in some rock climbing situations. IOW, whip a section of cord onto a tool handle, leave the loose end long and tie a loop in the end so you get a loop to clip the tool to hang it off your harness.

How do you keep it from unraveling? Just tuck and knot, glue, or...?
You can Whip the cord on the same way rope ends are sometimes secured from unraveling. P-cord works but a small diameter perlon cord (e.g. 2mm-4mm) can make for a tighter scene. It's the friction of the tightened cord over the looped end that holds the whipping together.

Here's a diagram of typical rope end whipping, it's the same technique on things like tool handles or a monopod:

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 7.59.25 AM.png

Nicely done!

I've whipped tool handles for many applications including the wrenches we use during winter lift evacuation rescue work at the ski area. We also sometimes use it to add hanging loops to tools in some rock climbing situations. IOW, whip a section of cord onto a tool handle, leave the loose end long and tie a loop in the end so you get a loop to clip the tool to hang it off your harness.

You can Whip the cord on the same way rope ends are sometimes secured from unraveling. P-cord works but a small diameter perlon core (e.g. 4mm) can make for a tighter scene. It's the friction of the tightened cord over the looped end that holds the whipping together.

Here's a diagram of typical rope end whipping, it's the same technique on things like tool handles or a monopod:

View attachment 79744
Awesome -thanks Dave@

Thanks for the pic - I'm really getting sold on this idea. How do you keep it from unraveling? Just tuck and knot, glue, or...?
Okie dokie….here’s the way to do it… Just now put this together for ya’ all…

IMG_0146.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

IMG_0147.jpeg

IMG_0149.jpeg

IMG_0151.jpeg

IMG_0152.jpeg

I have used pipe insulation for the past 40 years or so on my tripod legs. Inexpensive, easy to install , durable and very effective. Lot easier than winding cord around a leg and more durable.

Reactions: TRW
Back