If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

A peacock in all his splendor out looking for some action!

This with the Z 400mm f/4.5 but at f/13 (!) - I have some f/4.5 captures, but preferred the less bokeh'd tail features on the left.

Question: Is this WILD or MILD? The peacock "lives" at the zoo, but is free to roam, and even leave, but stays because it's reliable food. To me, it's not fully wild - some weird hybrid of wildness/enticement. Are the birds at the feeder "not wild"? Probably "less wild" to an extent. Thoughts?

Oh, and I posted very high res over on Flickr again if you want to click over (I'll put the link in a comment - probably need to click on the image a couple of times to see the full res there).

Cheers!

...Dave...

Peacock full swirl.1f.1920.DavidEArmstrong_Z9_20230616_162449_410-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Dan - thank you so much. I did try a variety of crops for this - the SOOC 3x2 from the Z9 was quite good, but I wanted to go for my more usual "wallpaper" crop of 16x10 or 16x9, and I thought this worked. Cheers!
Cropping in post is the easy part. Try this, try that... IMO the key is the angle that you chose in the field with the perfect V formed by the bird's neck and the green feathers on top of the tail. Placing the head/eye and that part of the tail on the thirds lines(whether in field or post) really works.

Cropping in post is the easy part. Try this, try that... IMO the key is the angle that you chose in the field with the perfect V formed by the bird's neck and the green feathers on top of the tail. Placing the head/eye and that part of the tail on the thirds lines(whether in field or post) really works.
Thanks, Dan - I try to 'get it right' in the field, but with moving wildlife that can be tough lol! Plus, I rarely use the 3x2 of FX for the actual, finished work, and cropping is one of the first things I do, often using the Rule of 3rds guidelines, but usually just as a reference for balance, not as a limiter, which I did here. One thing I concentrate on in post is guiding the eye around the image - so I'm pretty ruthless in that haha Cheers!

Double WOW - nice
Thank you, Charles!

I'm getting good response over on Flickr, so thanks to everyone that went over there to see full res!

One funny thing is that I started with my color enhancement techniques on this capture, but they did *almost nothing* lol! So I skipped them entirely. Peacocks so amazing!