Parodox of Choice

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This article on 6-19 was by Maria T Sullivan on John Cass News site today I also posted it on Nikonians site I put this up here on Backcountry as I purchased a new Z8 last month and can relate to what she is saying here regarding choices as it relates to the Z8 menu.

The Paradox of Choice is the title of a book by psychologist Barry Schwartz, published in 2004. In short, Schwartz tells us that too much choice is paralyzing, not liberating. “Choice overload” leads to less satisfaction, not more.

I'm sure many of you have gone through setting up these cameras it can be a bit daunting so purchased Steve's Z8 Z9 setup guide and its been getting me educated

To "this article on 6/19...."

I think that depends on ones personality. I'm an IT guy. The more choice the better. I have no problems with the menus. But I'm also a guy that can easily disregard excess. Meaning i can ignore what i didn't need in something like menus.

Choice in camera bodies is also good but there a lot of people on this and other forums that have trouble making a choice. There are a of posts with people asking what to buy and only they can really make that choice for themselves.

I don't see any issue with more choices. I love it

Last edited:
My Canon camera has an A+ mode meaning advanced automatic. I switch to that if I hand the camera to a newbie for a snapshot, but otherwise have never tried it. I like that every button and dial is programmable.

It might take a while to go through everything in the menu initially, but once you have it set up can't you pretty much keep it as simple as you'd like? I agree that too many choices can be counter-productive, so when setting up any camera I try to refine things to the simplest set up that meats my needs. BTW, I've heard that fighter pilots can simplify their heads up display when in combat to only the information they need and no more so as to avoid distraction. I say, be that fighter pilot. :)

Is it useful is my way of setting a camera up.
I welcome tech innovation that lets me do things I wouldn't be able to do without the innovation.
Having said that if I was heading up the Amazon to take photos of the five legged three winged whoop whoop bird [ very rare ] I would take a film camera, a zoom lens, and a cut throat razor. The camera choice is a secondary issue as not being able to shave would mean me suffering an itchy beard. [ I am bald so not too worried about long hair, but then again the cut throat razor would fix that ].
Reason for choosing a cut throat razor rather than an electric razor:

1. It doesn't need a power supply.
2. I could sharpen pencils with it.
3. Using my leather belt I can sharpen it.
4. I can cut wood to start a fire.
5. In extreme circumstances I could fight off evil doers with it [ big maybe ].
6. I could use it to amputate a toe that was infected.
I guess there are more benefits.

I owe this line of thinking to Anthony Kenny. He used a similar argument in a debate with The Archbishop of Canterbury and the all knowing Richard Dawkins.

"But I'm also a guy that can easily disregard excess. Meaning i can ignore what i didn't need in something like menus." EricKlees <--- I believe this is a sensible way of thinking.

This article on 6-19 was by Maria T Sullivan on John Cass News site today I also posted it on Nikonians site I put this up here on Backcountry as I purchased a new Z8 last month and can relate to what she is saying here regarding choices as it relates to the Z8 menu.

The Paradox of Choice is the title of a book by psychologist Barry Schwartz, published in 2004. In short, Schwartz tells us that too much choice is paralyzing, not liberating. “Choice overload” leads to less satisfaction, not more.

I'm sure many of you have gone through setting up these cameras it can be a bit daunting so purchased Steve's Z8 Z9 setup guide and its been getting me educated
"The Paradox of Choice is the title of a book by psychologist Barry Schwartz, published in 2004. In short, Schwartz tells us that too much choice is paralyzing, not liberating. “Choice overload” leads to less satisfaction, not more."

I see the above comment as being true in principal, however times and many people have changed or adapted with some evolution.

20 - 25 years ago the young were harpooned at the age of 10, 11, 12 with digital cocaine, games, social media, the internet, grown up now they shape our world today and into the future, they deal with information and choice overload much easier and faster.
Also they are far more desensitized. often they skim rather than fully read, they have been breed and adapted.

As Silicon valley said years ago don't focus on the current aged focus on the young, there our future they will evolve with us.

There are those people happily inclined to deal with lots of tech options easily and will thrive,
others may fall victim to indecision and a feeling of being overwhelmed.

Camera Menu's are a bit like a cheat sheet put into the camera to be a quick access option.........otherwise you would need to carry a 1000 page manual and torch with you all the time.

I have no liking for intense use of PS LR, I outsource my important or intense editing to professionals, I also dislike the incredibly complicated overload of camera options in the menu's.
I choose the fundamental key options i want to use and ignore the rest,
in ways shoot like i did with my DSLR.

I swapped out my Z9 for a Z8 temporally, i used the Z8 or Z9 just like a normal camera, i assign one button with instant 3 d tracking and features, so it’s a normal camera with a touch of a button it becomes instantly something else.

I care only about the key items SS, EV, F stop, ISO, focus point, Matrix or single point and number one using the right glass and composition, the rest is
customisable options suitable for those inclined to be tech driven and capable.

Yes menus for many are complicated overwhelming and extensive for many people but cherry picking what’s important is what i find matters.

A camera since the beginning of time only uses time light and speed in a suitable combination, that hasn’t changed that even today.

Only an opinion

Robert S said "But I'm also a guy that can easily disregard excess. Meaning i can ignore what i didn't need in something like menus." EricKlees <--- I believe this is a sensible way of thinking.

Well put

Only an opinion

For me there are way too many options in camera menus (I currently use a Z8). I had to change something not too long ago and found out there are submenus I had to go into that I didn't even know exist. I don't even like having a video option and if they made a Z8 model with no video function I would buy that instead even if it was the same price as the one with video.

For me there are way too many options in camera menus (I currently use a Z8). I had to change something not too long ago and found out there are submenus I had to go into that I didn't even know exist. I don't even like having a video option and if they made a Z8 model with no video function I would buy that instead even if it was the same price as the one with video.

I hear you

Camera companies have and are continuing to move into videography knowing the stills photography is a shrinking market.
Therefore we have features for stills and features for video.

The transition to better image stabilization, better low light focus all compliments tracking and video.

By all this being in one camera now called a hybrid, then with smaller lighter lenses with some having the lens VR removed also adds to complimenting video.
Does this mean there is room for a camera like you wish for .less complex less featured just for stills poses a good question.

As we know the world is addicted and totally dependent on smart phones offering instant photography, video, connectivity, and thrives on browsing on platforms like Instagram, Face book Tik Tok and the internet at large. Phones also have PS LR things like Snap Seed and other programs for editing even per-sets. Add to this players like Go Pro and Drones.
It all = revolutionary change.

Mirror less cameras with detachable lenses don't have phones or browse the internet, but they do take photos and videos, and of late seem to be moving into connectivity of sending photos or video from cameras directly to cloud storage ????? that was a wish form the CEO of Canon a long time ago from memory.

Like phones with constant new models emerging to make sales they don't have detachable lenses to underpin revenue, that said i feel a form of detachable lenses will be a normal option going forward in time.

One brand comes out with feature X so then brand 2 needs to market a jump ahead each time creating more innovative change.

Software features apps new subject recognition tools in cases are ok but often can be just a marketing thing to have a point of difference, it’s the way of the world, it’s like video games you have to keep putting fresh stuff out there or your left behind with competing with the new younger generation coming through.

The issue for some consumers is feature and information overload.

The Kiss principal in ways has been made largely obsolete. Hence i can enjoy using a DF LOL.

Digital mirror less call it what you want is becoming so feature rich and in many cases too complicated for many people.
Even to just take a video has to many options.

Many people just want to take a picture or a simple video, look at it or share it. Ok the phone and blogger cameras can do that.

Why are so many people now turning to film and film cameras and using old cheaper lenses for creative effect, they want the softer look, the sun flair.

Yes things are very complicated for so many people, yet on the other hand not enough for some.
Its a case of which train you want to get on.

I like my Z8 Z9 for what it can do, but for taking simple every day photos like most i prefer the phone.

Do I like taking photos with my DF, D850 D3X D4s D6 absolutely, but I have found I can if I wish turn most things off on the Z8 Z9 and use them like a normal DSLR or manual camera and ignore the menu options and video capabilities, however they are handy if you ever need them or want to embrace things.
It’s all about choices, with the newer models at least we can select as little or as many options as you want.
I can make a Z8 Z9 the same as any manual or basic camera.

But yes to many options and choices can be an issue at times, more is less I guess.

Menus’ in some of these flag ship cameras can be so much easier and friendly to use, like phones you have the basics then a feature called professional that opens up and lets you drill into deeper options, a lesion the majors can learn from.

Only an opinion

Back