Partially successful kingfisher video

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have always wanted to get some video of a kingfisher. Unfortunately, all the kingfishers I have seen (except in the Pantanal) are extremely shy and flee whenever they spot you. So when I saw this one, started taking video from a distance, even though I couldn't see the water so couldn't get the video of the kingfisher hitting the water. But still the best video I have ever gotten of a kingfisher. Taken with my Z8 and the 400mm F/4.5 lens with the 1.4TC at Pt Reyes, Ca:

Last edited:
Am I envious? you bet I am. I have never ever seen a Kingfisher here in the UK or any other country I have visited. I know how hard it is to even track a small bird let alone in a dive, so extremely well done on the video capture

funny little story

My manageress when I had a business one day on a day off we crossed a small wooded stream. We were talking about Kingfishers when she elbowed me in excitement saying she had spotted one. Of course I was excited to, my first sight of a kingfisher!!!! except it wasn't it was a brightly coloured shining in the sun on the bank crisp (chip in usa) packet . Ever felt like being a right plonker?

Last edited:
I have always wanted to get some video of a kingfisher. Unfortunately, all the kingfishers I have seen (except in the Pantanal) are extremely shy and flee whenever they spot you. So when I saw this one, started taking video from a distance, even though I couldn't see the water so couldn't get the video of the kingfisher hitting the water. But still the best video I have ever gotten of a kingfisher. Taken with my Z8 and the 400mm F/4.5 lens with the 1.4TC at Pt Reyes, Ca:

Nice job Ricardo👍👍👍. They are quick

Am I envious? you bet I am. I have never ever seen a Kingfisher here in the UK or any other country I have visited. I know how hard it is to even track a small bird let alone in a dive, so extremely well done on the video capture

funny little story

My manageress when I had a business one day on a day off we crossed a small wooded stream. We were talking about Kingfishers when she elbowed me in excitement saying she had spotted one. Of course I was excited to, my first sight of a kingfisher!!!! except it wasn't it was a brightly coloured shining in the sun on the bank crisp (chip in usa) packet . Ever felt like being a right plonker?
Thank you so much! Most of the time one will hear a kingfisher before seeing them, they are quite loud. And I have often been fooled by sticks or rocks into thinking they were something potentially exciting. So definitely a plonker at times.

Back