Patagonian Paradise --- The Andes overlooking Baraloche.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Gottshotz

Supporting Member
Marketplace
DMG_4832-2-edit-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The Argentinian town of Baraloche sits on the shores of this huge glacial lake (Lake Nahuel Huapi ). The Andes surround the lake and the Chilean border starts at the farthest background. Now a popular spot to go skiing for the rich and famous of Rio (Brazil) and Buenos Aires (Argentina), Baraloche has a murky past, being the refuge favoured by many of the German Nazis who escaped after WWll. --- including Joseph Mengele (Auschwitz-Birkenau's Angel of Death ) and Adolph Eichmann (creator of The Final Solution ). Despite this history it is a stunning and beautiful place to visit.

View attachment 7989

The Argentinian town of Baraloche sits on the shores of this huge glacial lake (Lake Nahuel Huapi ). The Andes surround the lake and the Chilean border starts at the farthest background. Now a popular spot to go skiing for the rich and famous of Rio (Brazil) and Buenos Aires (Argentina), Baraloche has a murky past, being the refuge favoured by many of the German Nazis who escaped after WWll. --- including Joseph Mengele (Auschwitz-Birkenau's Angel of Death ) and Adolph Eichmann (creator of The Final Solution ). Despite this history it is a stunning and beautiful place to visit.
Gorgeous Photograph!

No way. Very interesting. I didn‘t realize those two maniacs made it to Argentina
Apparently the Perons were great sympatheisers of the third reich and issued well over 2000 passports to allow these guys entry into Argentina --- in total approx. 9000 nazis made it to South America -- Uruguay, Paraguay and Chile also participated heavily.

Great photo David. To add to the history lesson, many Nazis made it to Bolivia, The most notorious was Klaus Barbie who openly lived in Bolivia (and supposedly provided counsel to one of the dictators around 1980). He wasn’t extradited to Germany until 1983 or 1984 when democracy returned to Bolivia.

Stunningly beautiful David and great back story ... I watched a programme a few months back about Joseph Mengele and apparently there was a snatch squad just moments away from capturing him were he was to be taken back to face trial for his crimes ..

Great photo David. To add to the history lesson, many Nazis made it to Bolivia, The most notorious was Klaus Barbie who openly lived in Bolivia (and supposedly provided counsel to one of the dictators around 1980). He wasn’t extradited to Germany until 1983 or 1984 when democracy returned to Bolivia.
Hi Kathy, yes I remember the Barbie case and it wasn't only South American countries accepting these criminals --- one would have to add Britain, USA and Russia as they overlooked their genocidal tendencies in exchange for their scientific knowledge ! Such is the way of the world I'm afraid.

Stunningly beautiful David and great back story ... I watched a programme a few months back about Joseph Mengele and apparently there was a snatch squad just moments away from capturing him were he was to be taken back to face trial for his crimes ..
Thanks Harry, a fascinating place Baraloche, looks as if it has been plucked off an Austrian mountain --- at one stage there was even a replica house of Hitler's dwelling in Berchtesgaden.

Back