Pennsylvania Elk

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I hate to post this, because there are already enough tourists infesting Pennsylvania's elk range, but this was taken a good way from the main tourist sites.
PA Elk.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I hate to post this, because there are already enough tourists infesting Pennsylvania's elk range, but this was taken a good way from the main tourist sites.View attachment 6430

I' m actually heading down there on Saturday 2 1/2 hours from the house.. (and I was planning on going before this post... :) ) I hope too find an out of the way place myself... Beautiful animals! Nice Shot Woody!

I' m actually heading down there on Saturday 2 1/2 hours from the house.. (and I was planning on going before this post... :) ) I hope too find an out of the way place myself... Beautiful animals! Nice Shot Woody!
You'll be inundated with people on a weekend, even during the week there are a lot of people and it's unpleasant on Winslow Hill. It's been so dry the last couple of months that a lot of small/low vegetation is dried out and or/dead so I've not found elk in some of my favorite places that are away from the people. I have found elk in some places where I've not seen them before.
The range has really expanded in the last few years, but I first started photographing them in the late 1970's when the population was about 60 animals and it's now up to 1,200-1,400. Some of my elk photographer-acquaintances won't go anywhere near Winslow Hill because of all the people and I'm just about ready to not go back there.

You'll be inundated with people on a weekend, even during the week there are a lot of people and it's unpleasant on Winslow Hill. It's been so dry the last couple of months that a lot of small/low vegetation is dried out and or/dead so I've not found elk in some of my favorite places that are away from the people. I have found elk in some places where I've not seen them before.
The range has really expanded in the last few years, but I first started photographing them in the late 1970's when the population was about 60 animals and it's now up to 1,200-1,400. Some of my elk photographer-acquaintances won't go anywhere near Winslow Hill because of all the people and I'm just about ready to not go back there.
Last time I was there was 9 years ago... It was "okay" I did end up getting some nice shots, As I'm not super familiar with area now you have me wondering if it's worth the drive down there tomorrow. My other concern is it hunting season (for other things) and other people in the woods... Thanks for the info Woody, you have me looking for plan B now with maybe a vacation day during the week a better option.

Last time I was there was 9 years ago... It was "okay" I did end up getting some nice shots, As I'm not super familiar with area now you have me wondering if it's worth the drive down there tomorrow. My other concern is it hunting season (for other things) and other people in the woods... Thanks for the info Woody, you have me looking for plan B now with maybe a vacation day during the week a better option.
We were there yesterday and it appears the rut is over - none of the bulls we saw had any cows and the cows we saw were unaccompanied. On Winslow Hill you're almost guaranteed to see elk because they're so habituated to humans, but the number of people made it really unpleasant (for me at least). There were a number of 15-passanger vans hauling people around and lots of cell phone-photographers.
I believe it was 2014 or 2015 when a new viewing area was built on Winslow Hill with a larger parking area and some areas within sight of that closed to foot travel.
This year I've seen quite a few elk in the meadows along Bennetts Branch between Medix Run and Driftwood and some between Driftwood and Sinnemahoning. If you want to get away from people look at the Quehanna Wild Area on GoogleEarth. There are elk in the area; they're wild and not habituated and thus harder to find and photograph. Check some of the food plots on SGL 34 and the Moshannon State Forest that are shown on GoogleEarth and the Game Commission's maps (which are not user-friendly) - http://www.hunting.pa.gov/bof/huntmap/index.html

Last edited:
We were there yesterday and it appears the rut is over - none of the bulls we saw had any cows and the cows we saw were unaccompanied. On Winslow Hill you're almost guaranteed to see elk because they're so habituated to humans, but the number of people made it really unpleasant (for me at least). There were a number of 15-passanger vans hauling people around and lots of cell phone-photographers.
I believe it was 2014 or 2015 when a new viewing area was built on Winslow Hill with a larger parking area and some areas within sight of that closed to foot travel.
This year I've seen quite a few elk in the meadows along Bennetts Branch between Medix Run and Driftwood and some between Driftwood and Sinnemahoning. If you want to get away from people look at the Quehanna Wild Area on GoogleEarth. There are elk in the area; they're wild and not habituated and thus harder to find and photograph. Check some of the food plots on SGL 34 and the Moshannon State Forest that are shown on GoogleEarth and the Game Commission's maps (which are not user-friendly) - http://www.hunting.pa.gov/bof/huntmap/index.html
Thank you much Sir appreciate the info! I'll do some research tonight. ;)

Back