"PF bokeh" on non-PF lens?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

SCoombs

Most users here are familiar with the characteristic bokeh that PF lenses can yield especially on specular highlights where you get a "doughnut ring" surrounding a very rough inner area filled with little bumps and dots. As one quick example to make sure we're on the same page I have a photo I took this morning with the 500pf and the effect can be seen in the two bright spots next to the head:
20240730-DSC_2405-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

My question - and it's not nearly so good a question as it should be due to my own poor organization - is that I have on at least one recent outing gotten this same kind of bokeh from my 180-600, but I had thought this was only a PF characteristic. The question is, well, is it only a PF characteristic?

My poor organization refers to the fact that I failed to mark the photos from the 180-600 at the time and right now have a few folders will thousands and thousands of photos I was taking as I experimented with these lenses - so I don't have the actual images in question to share! I will do my best to find them and add them to the thread when I do. I have decided to post the thread now anyways because I could really use at least some kind of answer about this sooner rather than when I manage to find the shots in question.

Back