PGD Tracker - anyone using it?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BarkingBeans Coffee

Michael H
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Anyone using this tracking devise by PGD for birds in flight? Ran into a guy at Gilbert Riparian Preserve that was using it his first day out and said he was impressed.

PGD Tracker - 1.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I looked at it a while back. Calibration is the key which I suspect will change with distance, moreso with increasing focal length. Why not just use the LCD? I normally shoot hand held, this just seems awkward.

I have used it for about 3 years. The first key is to do the calibration for the best compromise distance that you will be shooting at. If I can zero in on the subject while stationary, usually birds, I will use the viewfinder on the camera as my choice for tracking. Where I find the PDG tracker the most helpful is when a bird explodes into flight before I can get set up. For me it is very difficult to find and catch up with a bird as it explodes into flight, especially kingfishers. They are small and fast. The other area where I find it useful is when I have to time the approach of like a crow busing an eagle. The PDG gives me a much wider field of view, so I can start shooting just a head of the arrival of the crow.
Kingfisher.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I've seen it used successfully when photographing dolphins that jump unpredictably allowing the photographer to quickly find them and frame a shot.

Back