Photo backpack recommendations

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Abinoone

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I know it's been asked several times previously, but what backpack would you recommend? I'm looking for a bag I can take into the field with me everyday that will hold one body, one super telephoto, one other mid-range or short lens, and the usual cleaning tools, extra batteries, etc. A bonus would be the ability to hold a laptop for when I travel by air. I currently have an okay ProMaster bag that's been fine over the years, but it's getting a little ragged and I'm looking for a replacement that's better quality and perhaps more versatile. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

from a search

Personally I use Think Tank bags. Specifically the Streetwalker Pro, Airport Accelerator and Commuter backpacks. None with wheels as I don't need the extra weight and using the waist belt puts the weight on my hips where it is easier to carry.

I’ve had several brands over the years and the most recent brand I bought was Mindshift and I purchased the 36L. It is probably my favorite to date. It’s a very good size for travel or just for hiking or whatever. I think they also are still running a 25% off sale through think tank.

Another vote for Mindshift. Most comfortable and practical bags I’ve owned. Gura Gear when I need maximum carrying capacity but for your scenario, my go-to is the Mindshift. I have the 18L for the 200-600 and the 36L for the 600 f:4

I recently received my NYA-EVO 60c and it is really nice (which it should be for the cost). The bag uses removable camera inserts (RCI) so you can use the bag for flexible use case scenarios. It’s carry-on compliant which is a huge bonus for me.

I can pack out long telephoto lenses and other lenses pretty easily. The harness system is the best I’ve seen on a photography pack. That said, it’s still not to the level of a dedicated hiking pack but I’ve never found a hiking pack that can fit long telephoto lenses.

NYA-EVO has other sizes that are smaller but I picked up the 60c so I could use it for wildlife photography but also convert for travel and take a smaller kit.

Shimado also has solid bags but I don’t think they’re as good as NYA-EVO.

I used to use LowePro Prorunner AW models. But in recent years I‘ve gone to Mindshift Backlight models (I have the 36L and 26L models). I can fit my Z 400 mm TC (or Z 800 mm PF) and a Z9 in the 36L, along with a Z8 and other lenses and gear. I like the way it opens and can be shifted around while wearing it. It’s comfortable to carry.

I bought a Gura Gear Kiboku 30L earlier this year after seeing a couple of them on a trip to Botswana. A fellow trip participant had one and she had a Z 600 mm TC, Z 400 mm TC, and a Z9 in it. (She had another Z9 and a Tamron 35-150 in her laptop bag.). I can fit my Z 400 mm TC and Z 800 mm PF in it, along with a couple of bodies.

I think I will shift to using the Gura Gear backpack when I take either or both of the Z 400 mm TC and Z 800 mm PF. Used it at the zoo yesterday for a few hours of practice. Found it comfortable to carry with the Z 400 mm TC, Plena and a Z8. Could have brought more gear with it. Planning on taking it to British Columbia later this month.

I used to use LowePro Prorunner AW models. But in recent years I‘ve gone to Mindshift Backlight models (I have the 36L and 26L models). I can fit my Z 400 mm TC (or Z 800 mm PF) and a Z9 in the 36L, along with a Z8 and other lenses and gear. I like the way it opens and can be shifted around while wearing it. It’s comfortable to carry.

I bought a Gura Gear Kiboku 30L earlier this year after seeing a couple of them on a trip to Botswana. A fellow trip participant had one and she had a Z 600 mm TC, Z 400 mm TC, and a Z9 in it. (She had another Z9 and a Tamron 35-150 in her laptop bag.). I can fit my Z 400 mm TC and Z 800 mm PF in it, along with a couple of bodies.

I think I will shift to using the Gura Gear backpack when I take either or both of the Z 400 mm TC and Z 800 mm PF. Used it at the zoo yesterday for a few hours of practice. Found it comfortable to carry with the Z 400 mm TC, Plena and a Z8. Could have brought more gear with it. Planning on taking it to British Columbia later this month.
The Gura Gear 30L looks great, but $600 for a backpack?! At that price, maybe I could just hire a porter! 🥴

another vote for Gura Gear. I traveled by air with a Z9, 400 TC 2.8, Z7ii, Tamron 150-500 and 105 mm Macro plus batteries and accessories. I carried my laptop in a "personal item" separately. It is pretty comfortable hiking but longest trips so far are a little over two miles. They make a version with a laptop sleeve but it takes away height I needed for the large telephoto and Z9

Back