Photo related question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nikondale

Supporting Member
Marketplace
As I am getting older, I find my strength, balance, hand steadiness are getting the best of me. My question is: what is the easiest process for reducing my camera and lens equipment? I appreciate your input.

Are you asking about reducing in terms of easiest ways to sell your equipment?

Or asking about the easiest ways to reduce your kit to something more manageable?

For selling - I like Facebook Marketplace and FredMiranda forums. eBay used to be good, but they take 13% off the top.

For a smaller kit - several of my older friends have moved to a Z8 kit with the 24-120, 100-400, and 600PF. It's small and lightweight and covers pretty much all of the bases.

As I am getting older, I find my strength, balance, hand steadiness are getting the best of me. My question is: what is the easiest process for reducing my camera and lens equipment? I appreciate your input.
That depends a lot on the subjects you shoot but also the conditions in which you shoot (e.g. low light) and what you'll do with your images (i.e. web, email, small prints vs large prints).

For a lot of wildlife shooters that won't shoot too much in low light and perhaps won't print extra large a lot a micro 4/3 system can be a great way to lighten the camera and lens load.

Fuji makes some very capable lighter gear in APS-C format. XH2 and XT5 for example. You give up some capabilities and IQ, but it's still very good .

Weight/form factor are an issue near and dear to me. I have neuromuscular issues and am not as strong as I used to be. On the other hand, I have large hands, I shake and cannot effectively hold and use smaller camera bodies where the buttons are too close together. So, for me, the smaller camera bodies are just out of the question. I often use a monopod to support my camera/lens more easily. That works for me, and I have to accept shorter trips and photo sessions plus carefully looking for locations where there may be seats or platforms where I can sit for a few minutes and/or shoot from my monopod. Adaptations are necessary in many ways, so you have to try things to find what works best for you. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Back