Photo Safari vs Regular Safari

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BertieB

In this video the young lady discusses the benefits of doing a photo safari vs a regular safari, and the points she raises are very valid.
Personally, living in Africa I have not really appreciated the value of doing a photo safari and normally just do my own thing, but there are inevitably always other non photographers to consider, thus less opportunities for getting that special photo or even photos you are dreaming about.

So think my next trip will most certainly be a photo safari!

Link to the video:

I think the points raised are very valid. I have spent a good deal of time in private locations on "Safari". This includes the highlighted location, Mashatu, where I have made many visits, some with C4 images, who are excellent. The situation is similar with companies such as Pangolin, on the Chobe River.
Most of the advantages apply to private areas with restricted access and going with these private photo companies certainly improves the experience.
However, there are many areas of Africa that are accessible without guides and can be very rewarding. I have spent much of my time in Africa over recent years in the Kgalagadi. Here, it is very easy to self drive at very affordable prices. The public camps are excellent but need booking well in advance. The standard of photographic opportunities, is second to none in Africa. But for me, the pleasure is finding animals , birds and other wildlife myself. I regularly spend time with Lions, Leopards and other amazing animals, with nobody else around.
I fully understand that if people are on their once in a lifetime "safari" in Africa, they want to get the best possible value from it. Going with organised tours is often the best way of achieving this. I am just highlighting that there are many alternatives where going alone can be very rewarding. (And safe, travel within the South African NP system is very safe.)

Or, instead of going on an organized tour or self-drive, take a local guide for yourself. Gets you insight into the local wildlife and leaves some money in the local economy. And you still maintain the flexibility of being by yourself.

Or, instead of going on an organized tour or self-drive, take a local guide for yourself. Gets you insight into the local wildlife and leaves some money in the local economy. And you still maintain the flexibility of being by yourself.
Agreed, I'm a big fan of using local guides. The only problem is that with areas like Mashatu, Sabi Sands etc. local guides will not have access. As the original post, the photographic element is usually and additional option, within private areas. The likes of C4 Images, Pangolin etc, do a good job with this.

Back