Photo vs Photo from video

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

AstroEd

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I was wondering if there was a quality difference between a straight dedicated photo shot vs a Photo grabbed from a 4k or 8k video? (I do not know how to grab a single video frame for a photo but I was curious.

Also I come from Astro Photography where I would take Video and stack the desired frames to gain sharpness and lessen noise in a final image, would this be useful in normal Wildlife imagery?

Photo grabbed from video will be jpeg instead of RAW…and depending on video settings will be lower resolution. Stacking frames might give a little better result in very low light…but needs a subject that is not moving which isn’t that common in wildlife.

Reactions: Tes
The settings to get great looking video are very different from the settings for great images.
To get smooth video, you need to use a shutter speed ideally 2x the frame rate of the video (so 1/60s for 30fps video, all the way up to 1/250s for 120fps video)
Those shutter speeds ensure a level of blur that seamlessly blends from one frame into the next.
That's not conducive to the best looking stills, especially when action / movement involved.

Of course you can shoot videos at higher shutter speeds - but the higher the shutter speed, the more choppy the video looks.

So yes you can but you'll sacrifice one or the other - they can't be both equally good.

I frequently use stills from 8k video on my Z9. Both 12 bit raw and 10 bit 265. IQ is great. , in fact I very rarely shoot stills. Remember, a ML camera is a video camera with codecs for stills.

The Z9 does 12 bit raw at 60fps. Given the number of frames per second, you are likely to luck out and get a sharp one regardless of shutter speed. This is from 8.3k/60 footage at 1/120 second of a fast fly catch. (click to enlarge).

EDIT: BTW, to grab a still in Davinci Resolve, RH click on the preview from the Colour module.

53476499066_9ecc470658_o.jpg

I frequently use stills from 8k video on my Z9. Both 12 bit raw and 10 bit 265. IQ is great. , in fact I very rarely shoot stills. Remember, a ML camera is a video camera with codecs for stills.

The Z9 does 12 bit raw at 60fps. Given the number of frames per second, you are likely to luck out and get a sharp one regardless of shutter speed. This is from 8.3k/60 footage at 1/120 second of a fast fly catch. (click to enlarge).

EDIT: BTW, to grab a still in Davinci Resolve, RH click on the preview from the Colour module.

53476499066_9ecc470658_o.jpg
Impressive. I think that’s where the far superior ibis / in lens stabilization of the z9 / Nikon lenses shows versus my Sony A1. I very rarely ‘luck out” on a sharp frame even at 120fps.

I start from the perspective that I know very little about video. I was going to get involved but when i started reading into it I felt I already had my hands full with still photography.

The THom Hogan book on the Nikon z8/9 does an excellent job of explaining how video works and introducing a lot of information on various settings and modes. It was an eye opener for me.

I start with a little common sense. I think the human eye sees an image evey 1/30 or 1/60 a second. Because of the way our eye works we can't stop action at for instance 1/3200 second to capture detail on a bird in flight.

Now imagine a video is shooting at 1/60 a second. Now imagine you are shooting RAW stills with the camera and are taking a new picture every 1/60 second. Plus you are doing that for 1 hour straight. That is a LOT of still images.

Well video doesn't work like that. A single video image does not capture the same detail as a single still shot. Instead the video blurs the image for things that are moving so things look similar to the way we see things in real life.

If I understand all this a program that extracts stills from a motion picture must have some kind of algorithm to extract pieces from different frames and combine them into a single still image. So yeah you can get a pretty sharp photo extracted in this way from a video feed.

Like I said video is not my thing and I may have all this backwards.

But I do strongly recommend the THom Hogan books for an intro to video.

I start from the perspective that I know very little about video. I was going to get involved but when i started reading into it I felt I already had my hands full with still photography.

The THom Hogan book on the Nikon z8/9 does an excellent job of explaining how video works and introducing a lot of information on various settings and modes. It was an eye opener for me.

I start with a little common sense. I think the human eye sees an image evey 1/30 or 1/60 a second. Because of the way our eye works we can't stop action at for instance 1/3200 second to capture detail on a bird in flight.

Now imagine a video is shooting at 1/60 a second. Now imagine you are shooting RAW stills with the camera and are taking a new picture every 1/60 second. Plus you are doing that for 1 hour straight. That is a LOT of still images.

Well video doesn't work like that. A single video image does not capture the same detail as a single still shot. Instead the video blurs the image for things that are moving so things look similar to the way we see things in real life.

If I understand all this a program that extracts stills from a motion picture must have some kind of algorithm to extract pieces from different frames and combine them into a single still image. So yeah you can get a pretty sharp photo extracted in this way from a video feed.

Like I said video is not my thing and I may have all this backwards.

But I do strongly recommend the THom Hogan books for an intro to video.
That is not really how it works. The blurred frames in video come from the slower shutter speeds used - generally the shutter speed is twice the frame rate. So 1/120 for 60 fps. There is no chicanery involved in blurring or removing blur. Extracting a sharp image is a game of chance but with reasonable to good odds depending on the population size (frame rate). At any point of an action sequence there is generally a minute pause, a change of direction for example, where the main subject of interest is sharp.

Back