Photography from a kayak question(s)...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Stephen Berger

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi all,

For photographing birds/wildlife from a kayak can you tell my what kayak you've owned/used and how you've protected your gear? Note for the kayaking part I'm a beginner.

After a couple of false starts for moving out of LA I'm headed to the Raleigh/Durham area of NC this Saturday and there are several lakes around and I'd love to get into combining kayaking on them and shooting.

TIA.

My wife and I have been kayaking/canoeing for years, always in a tandem. And I always bring 1 or 2 camera's with me. One with a telephoto and one with a 24-70mm. I've had more than one person telling me I'm crazy risking my camera's in a kayak but I enjoy taking photos too much to not take them. I put them in a dry bag whenever I enter or exit the kayak. Or whenever water gets rough. We currently have a Slipstream Sportduo 13. It's a canoe but we sit on the bottom and use a kayak paddle. It's very light weight so we have no problem lifting it on top my SUV for travelling. We only paddle on calm water and so far I've had good luck and haven't lost anything. I do have my equiptment insured through my home insurance policy and they tell me it's covered in case of lose (like dropping in a lake). I hope I don't have to test that policy. Being in the canoe has given me opportunities to shoot birds (like loons) that I couldn't get from the shore. Last winter we rented a kayak in Florida and really enjoyed kayaking with manatee's, dolphins, and even a couple alligators.

Greg

I have a foldable Oru kayak (Beach LT). It is very stable (28" wide) and has an open cockpit that is large enough to hold the camera between your legs. I only kayak in calm waters so capsizing is very unlikely. I use a towel to put the camera on and just wrap it on the sides to protect from splashes.

Back