Photoshop Preset Location

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BarkingBeans Coffee

Michael H
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Can someone help me understand the difference between two storage locations for Presets.

I find folders in the following places on my Mac:
I think the first is the default and I am not sure why there is also a second place which seems to be the installed files?
The second place is easier to find.

Any help is appreciated as I can't find an answer.
I am trying to develop a good habit of storing downloads in the right place so they can be found and migrated when needed.

1688766053544.png

1688766084826.png

Of course after posting, I finally figured a bit out. But still need to get a workflow going. Point 2 confirms the second location is the one where defaults are. So probably not a good idea to store new ones there.

So keep a directory where you store your downloads, and then import them in which case they will show up in the first location above.

What else should I consider?

Thanks.

DEFAULT PRESET LOCATIONS​

1. The default location for saving/loading/replacing presets depends on your operating system.
    • Windows 10: [Drive]:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop [version]\Presets\[feature name]
    • Windows 7: [Drive]:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop[version_number]\Presets
    • Mac: <User>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AdobePhotoshop [version_number]/Presets.
  2. Presets that ship with Adobe Photoshop are stored in the Photoshop program folder.

And more confusion. I downloaded a set of brushes and patterns that came with an action. When double clicked they got added to PS but they got stored I note Photoshop program folder, the second screenshot above, not the default location that I would have expected.

Back