Pied Billed Grebe

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Pied Billed Grebe Photographed in Local Pond in Utah
Nikon Z9 and 800 PF
High ISO, Processed with DXO PureRaw and Photoshop
Let me know your reaction, thoughts, and comments.

DXO_KR9_1492-NEF-copy.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

You can get that foregound by placing the lens close to water surface. With this being fresh water lake and I could to hold my lens right at water level and shoot the grebes when they passed me.
ISO 6400, 1/1600, f/6.3
Z9 and 800 PF Handholding Lying flat down on the lake shore.

Last edited:
Fantastic shot, nice background, nice light 👏. I just have the impression the horizon is slightly tilted to the right.
But maybe it's just an impression.
I also like that picture in picture - the eye reflection.

Awesome shot for sure. The water melding into the background is absolutely phenomenal. Personally I'm fine with the crop; maybe a touch more in front of him but not a great deal. And yeah, he looks like he is sliding downhill just a tad. But a really great shot. Dang nice.

Very nice shot - love the color of the background and the grebe is very well done.

If I'm really going to nit-pick, maybe the brightness of the water ripple in front of and behind the bird needs to be toned down slightly - maybe a half stop or so darker on the whites and highlights. You might clone over those areas with the background in a lower opacity - maybe 15-20%. I find cloning with low opacity is a good way to handle blown out areas that lack any color or detail.

Back