If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

M R Opp

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I usually don't make a habit of posting captures of birds at feeders, but am making an exception here. While in Southern California last week a friend of mine pointed out a very strange looking black-chinned hummingbird at one of his feeders. It turns out that there are quite a few reports of "pied" hummingbirds.

Albino hummingbirds (and other creatures) have no pigment, whereas leucistic hummingbirds can produce some melanin, and usually have pigment in the eyes, feet and bills. A "piebald" or "pied" hummingbird is partially leucistic and partially normally pigmented. If you are interested in learning more, point your browser to hummingbird central.
NZ9_5996.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
NZ9_6010.jpg
NZ9_6007.jpg

Pretty bird. Leucistic Black-chins must be fairly common because I get them in my yard at least once a year. :) Have only had one leucistic Anna's, in that instance all white except eyes were dark.

Pretty bird. Leucistic Black-chins must be fairly common because I get them in my yard at least once a year. :) Have only had one leucistic Anna's, in that instance all white except eyes were dark.
Cool. I have seen one leucistic robin, but this is the first pied bird I have seen.

Last edited: