Pied Oystercatcher joins me for breakfast on King Island.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

David Berry

🇦🇺 Australia 🦘
Early this morning the seas parted, and I walked across 'dry land' to King Island in Moreton Bay.

After an hour or so photographing a Striated Heron (more on that little fellow later), I found a shady spot provided by a grove of casuarinas in which a White-breasted Woodswallow was gathering nesting material (more, etc. later).

My hot chocolate and muesli were scarcely finished, when this dapper oystercatcher wandered past, almost begging to have its portrait taken. I obliged.

The strange background colours are provided courtesy of Moreton Bay's sands – red on the mainland and cream from the huge sand islands separating the bay from the Coral Sea. The lens was pointed slightly down so that the tidal flats fifty metres away – not the marina at five kilometres – formed the background.

As always with pied birds my challenge, on the island and 'in post', was to retain feather detail at both ends of the histogram.

Pied Oystercatcher : Haematopus longirostris
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Canon R5m2 | RF 200–800
500 mm | ƒ/8 | 1/2500s | ISO 2500
30 frames/second | pre-continuous raw | ±7.5 metres
DxO PR4 | LrC

Pied Oystercatcher : Haematopus longirostris
King Island, Moreton Bay, Queensland, AU

Last edited:
Lovely images, David!
Outstanding shot, David!

Thank you for your kind comments. It was a fun morning!
  • 2:40 am : high tide (1.4 metres)
  • 4:00 am : first (of 3) alarms
  • 5:00 am : leave home
  • 5:33 am : sunrise
  • 6:25 am : this photo (tide 0.9 metres)
  • 6:40 am : photographing Striated Heron (right of causeway; east)
  • 7:10 am : photographing White-breasted Woodswallow
  • 7:25 am : photographing Pied Oystercatcher
  • 8:30 am : low tide (0.7 metres)
  • 3:40 pm : high tide (2.1 metres)

King Island Tidal Causeway
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Canon R5m2 | RF 50 f/1.8 (nifty-fifty)
3 x bracket EC: -1⅔ …… 1 …… +1⅔

King Island seen from Wellington Point
Moreton Bay, Queensland, AU

Last edited:
That's an excellent image. Nicely done.

I find it interesting that across the sea from you they specifically identify what seems to be the same bird as the "South Island Pied Oystercatcher". Which SIPO does make for a handy acronym.

Back