If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Early October before the leaves started to change
WM1_0897_00001dhcrop.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Thanks Callie How is the d500 for landscape photography I have been thinking of getting one?
Woody - I use the D850 for landscape, because I have it. But I have tried crazy landscapes ~ see image. This is a rock outcrop - kopje - with a large baobab was that far from the road, I could not get nearer. So, I think the D500 will work wonderfully, I have done landscape with the D70, D300's so no sweat as far as my experience - you just use a DX WA or live with the 1.5 of a normal lens.
D500; 500 PF; F/7.1; 1/1600; ISO 280. Effective 750 mm in 35 mm.

00533 18X12W D500 8778.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

How is the d500 for landscape photography
It's a fine camera for landscape work. Remember it wasn't all that long ago when all of Nikon pro DSLRs were DX crop cameras and we used them for landscapes and everything else. The D500 has a better sensor than any of those that were best in class pro cameras at the time. Yeah there are some advantages to full frame work in the areas of low light performance and better control of DoF when using wide apertures(which is pretty rare for landscape work) but there's nothing wrong with a good DX crop camera for landscape work when outfitted with appropriate lenses for the scene and the D500 is a very good DX crop camera.

It's a fine camera for landscape work. Remember it wasn't all that long ago when all of Nikon pro DSLRs were DX crop cameras and we used them for landscapes and everything else. The D500 has a better sensor than any of those that were best in class pro cameras at the time. Yeah there are some advantages to full frame work in the areas of low light performance and better control of DoF when using wide apertures(which is pretty rare for landscape work) but there's nothing wrong with a good DX crop camera for landscape work when outfitted with appropriate lenses for the scene and the D500 is a very good DX crop camera.
Very interesting! What lenses do you usually use for landscape photos with your D500?

Very interesting! What lenses do you usually use for landscape photos with your D500?
When I do shoot landscapes with my D500 I typically use the 16-80mm f/2.8 - f/4. But I've also used some of my FX lenses like the 16-35mm and even the 24-120mm if that's what I'm carrying at the time.

Back in the earlier DX only days with a D1H, D2X and D200 I carried the Nikon 12-24mm and for a while used a Sigma 10-20mm for landscape work which yielded very useful FoV for landscapes.

All that said, like Callie I don't think of my crop body D500 as my go-to landscape lens as I own more than one full frame camera. But if I'm traveling light and not carrying the D5 or D850 then I sure don't hesitate to use the D500 (or when traveling real light my Sony A6300 which is also APS-C) for landscape shots as it produces very nice results.

Last edited:
Thank you for your information; these days, I am a little ambivalent, looking for a second camera mainly destinated to landscape photo (1/10 th of my photos are lanscape photos), full frame and why not, mirrorless, also useful for travels; presently, I use a DX lense, 17-55 f/2.8 with my D500; a good lens but not the panacea in relation to it's weight (around 1.7 pounds) when I travel. I just took a look in the forum at some lanscape photos taken with a Z6 camera and a S 24-70 lens and I was very impressed.