Playing for keeps (a few more eagles)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ajrmd

A couple more from the other day at Conowingo...

Attack sequence000.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Attack sequence001.jpg
Attack sequence002.jpg

Awesome sequence! 👍👍👍 How do you like shooting with the 800?
Love the 800 in nearly every respect. It is compact and lightweight enough (though of course one would prefer it was even smaller and lighter) to travel easily and handhold for brief periods. Coming from a 600 f/4 with a 1.4x TC, I had an irrational concern that I wouldn't be able to effectively find and acquire small targets though I find it is a lot easier because sighting over the smaller barrel diameter (compared to the former) facilitates locking onto the subject. The VR is very good and one can achieve excellent results with video handheld and at slower Tv. IQ is great, it is resistant to flare, images stand up well to cropping, and I appreciate that Nikon supplied an excellent lens case. Of course, there are naggy things about any lens and the 800 PF is no exception. It can, in some circumstances produce the donut hole specular bokeh and I really dislike the large diameter, long hood (Zemlin makes some alternatives). Also, for me, the control ring is a bit awkward which is unfortunate as I usually assign ISO to it (I shoot in M). For those who are not shooting at longer FL's, the 600 PF might be a better choice in terms of size/weight. Though I haven't tried any TC's with the 800, purportedly the results are fairly good. Are there any specific questions about the lens or its performance that I can answer?

Love the 800 in nearly every respect. It is compact and lightweight enough (though of course one would prefer it was even smaller and lighter) to travel easily and handhold for brief periods. Coming from a 600 f/4 with a 1.4x TC, I had an irrational concern that I wouldn't be able to effectively find and acquire small targets though I find it is a lot easier because sighting over the smaller barrel diameter (compared to the former) facilitates locking onto the subject. The VR is very good and one can achieve excellent results with video handheld and at slower Tv. IQ is great, it is resistant to flare, images stand up well to cropping, and I appreciate that Nikon supplied an excellent lens case. Of course, there are naggy things about any lens and the 800 PF is no exception. It can, in some circumstances produce the donut hole specular bokeh and I really dislike the large diameter, long hood (Zemlin makes some alternatives). Also, for me, the control ring is a bit awkward which is unfortunate as I usually assign ISO to it (I shoot in M). For those who are not shooting at longer FL's, the 600 PF might be a better choice in terms of size/weight. Though I haven't tried any TC's with the 800, purportedly the results are fairly good. Are there any specific questions about the lens or its performances that I can answer?
Thanks for the detailed report. I‘m planning on going mirrorless this spring and I’m seriously planning on getting the 800. My only concern was the speculation bokeh because I shoot near water a lot but I don‘t think hit will be much of an issue. I shoot birds 99% of the time and I really want that reach. Right now I’m shooting the D500 with the 500pf married to a a 1.4 tc. So I’ve been shooting the equivalent of 1050 mm. I’m getting pretTy good at acquiring the subject and the Z 8 which I plan to buy should actually make it a little easier for me. I plan on going to my local photo store and check it out. I’m pretty sure that I will buy it but that 600 PF created some doubt in my mind. But I know if I got the 600 I would probably be using it with a 1.4tc which I don’t want to do. Once I get the Z8, I’ll be using it for a while with my 500 pf with the tc attached before I pull the trigger on the 800. Once again, thanks for the info. It helps a lot.

Ditching the TC was a big factor for me for a number of reasons including, 1) As much as one thinks it affords 2 lenses, in the field it is highly impractical to be switching the TC off and on (yes, I've done it but invariably find myself in situations where I would have preferred the other FL), 2) The potential for speed, communication difficulty with more connections, 3) Dust as a result of changing the TC in the field. With the mid f lenses the TC's become less practical and owning a 600 f/6.3 and slapping a 1.4x yields a less useful f/8 lens. Since I shoot the majority of my WL at longer FL's, the 800 made more sense and I've since paired it with the 180-600. It's a wonderful 1-2 combination. With respect to the bokeh, it is extremely good the vast majority of the time and it is very difficult to create the odd effects especially when shooting WL (unless one intentionally shoots lights in the background?) I scoured through several thousands of WL images in my personal collection and really found only one series where the bokeh was really problematic and that was in the case of strong back and side lighting at a particular distance (the pictures are awful too, but I was trying to find a couple demonstrating adverse bokeh). Shooting around the water is generally not too much of an issue since I generally aim for eye level though if one tries, they can create the busy and disagreeable bokeh. Again, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the lens.

Bokeh000-topaz-sharpen.jpg

bokeh2000-topaz-sharpen.jpg

Beautiful shots. I'll probably be back out next week early. Not about to go with the weekenc crowds now. Expected to be bad enough that shuttle busses will be runnung from up top Fri-Sun for the next two weekends at least.

Even with the warm weather, there were no less than 100 photographers on weekdays. I suspect that as the temperatures drop and the eagles start arriving in numbers, so too will the photographers. While the vast majority of people are kind and engaging, there is a noticeable difference in the vibe.

Back