Plena lens for wildlife

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Shot with the Nikkor Plena (135 1.8 lens), Nikon's latest wildlife lens offering :) A male and female Green Frog -- note the distinguishing yellow throat and larger-than-the eye tympanic membrane that marks a male; and the black mottling under the chin (that extends under the body) and the about-eye-sized typanic membrane that distinguishes the females. You can also see on both the ridge (called a fold) down the backs -- the appearance of this tells us these are not American Bullfrogs which do not have those ridges. I do not know the species type of the mosquitoes captured in the male frog shot :) Nicely, as I was packing up the pond frog chorus sang my exit. Love that sound. Oddly but for the call of a few song sparrows singing, this location normally thick with birds including RWB and Grackles, was silent; I was hoping to try a bird shot or two for anybody willing to alight close enough, but I did go specifically for the frogs :)

Green Frog male sized.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Green Frog female.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Excellent Steven…. I’m seriously thinking of jumping on the Plena bandwagon. It simply delivers in situations where other lenses fall a bit short.

Shot with the Nikkor Plena (135 1.8 lens), Nikon's latest wildlife lens offering :) A male and female Green Frog -- note the distinguishing yellow throat and larger-than-the eye tympanic membrane that marks a male; and the black mottling under the chin (that extends under the body) and the about-eye-sized typanic membrane that distinguishes the females. You can also see on both the ridge (called a fold) down the backs -- the appearance of this tells us these are not American Bullfrogs which do not have those ridges. I do not know the species type of the mosquitoes captured in the male frog shot :) Nicely, as I was packing up the pond frog chorus sang my exit. Love that sound. Oddly but for the call of a few song sparrows singing, this location normally thick with birds including RWB and Grackles, was silent; I was hoping to try a bird shot or two for anybody willing to alight close enough, but I did go specifically for the frogs :)

View attachment 94989View attachment 94990
Yup,….going out to shoot is like a “box of chocolates” ya’ just don’t know what you’ll get….nice!

Back