polarizing filter solution sought

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I like what you can do with polarizing filters in certain situations primarily for landscapes.

The problem is I have lenses with 112mm, 95mm, 82mm and smaller diameters. I don't feel like spending $200-600 for one polarizing filter and be Abel to use it on only one or two lenses. I would much rather have a system that is interchangeable.

Polarizing filters also need to be rotated to control the effect.

There are a few systems out there that promise the ability to move the filter among lenses.

My widest filter size lens is112mm and is for the 14-24mm f2.8. I would also like to be able to use the filter on the following:

24-70mm f2.8 (82mm)
70-200mm f2.8 (77mm)
135mm Plena (82mm)
400mm f4.5 (95mm)

For any adapter I would want to be able to rotate the filter to get the best effect.

Has anyone used a filter mouint that would allow me to use the same filter on those listed lenses?

For a round threaded polarizer filter purchase a filter with the largest size filter thread for your lenses. Also purchase suitable size step-up/step-down adapter rings to use the large filter on smaller lenses. It may take stacking more than 1 adapter ring. The adapter rings can be purchased individually or in sets. Just be sure any set has the correct sizes for your lens.

To access and rotate a polarizer you'll likely not be able to use a lens hood.

I use adapter rings often with neutral density filters and they work fine. Most are constructed of aluminum so don't tighten them more than barely finger-tight or they may seize up the fine filter or adapter threads.

Last edited:
I do the same as @PhilcTx, the largest filter for the lenses I have, then step up rings for smaller lenses. I have a 95mm CPL that fits my 180-600mm, then step up rings starting at 62mm on up. As Phil says, sometimes it's more than one step up ring. The only lens not covered is my 14-24mm, as that takes 112mm filters. But with that lens, you'd likely be dealing with unevenness in the sky due to the super wide of field of view.

Back