Pope shield diffuser

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I just wanted to see if any of our macro shooters have tried the pipe shield macro diffuser? I’ve seen a few reviews on them and they seem to be great for macro shooting.

I have a similar diffuser, it works well but is a bit of a nuisance to mount and is often in the way when I'm photographing something amid foliage. More often I use one I made from a white plastic milk carton that mounts on my flash (smaller, less expensive [actually it's free] and easily replaced) -- it seems to work as well as the commercial diffuser.

I have a similar diffuser, it works well but is a bit of a nuisance to mount and is often in the way when I'm photographing something amid foliage. More often I use one I made from a white plastic milk carton that mounts on my flash (smaller, less expensive [actually it's free] and easily replaced) -- it seems to work as well as the commercial diffuser.
This is what I use now. It does a good job and you’re probably right about the other being a pain to install.
6B292382-C0C6-4F1C-942F-D9FC9CB46A00.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Hadn’t heard of these until now—it looks cumbersome, not something i think would replace old-fashioned round, collapsible diffusers and reflectors, especially in the field.

I ordered one a week or so ago. It gets great reviews in the Macro community. I got the one that you can attach with the magnets.
I am really curious to hear what you have to say about it once it arrives. I have went back-and-forth for a while contemplating ordering it but just never have pulled the trigger.

I use the fan shaped one you can get for under 10 bucks at any camera store or online and it seems to work fine. It can be a pain and scare away insects before I take the shot. Yesterday I saw this opaque square shaped fairly robust plastic bottle my wife was about to throw away. First thought was this could be a diffuser, I drew an outline around my flash, dremeled out the opening, and voila. I used it on the photos I posted here yesterday. It works great.
20220721_111333.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I have been testing my Pope shields with a couple of lenses and different flashes and I am impressed. By far the best diffuser I have.

I was using the Shield with the white plastic and thickest foam which gave a great result.

I will need to wait until spring to try the lighter shields in the sun as a fill-in flash, but I suspect they will be really good at a low-power fill-in with the lighter material.

Bottom Line: Highly recommended.

Comments: Make sure you order the magnetic attachment version. The shields come in three sizes A/B/C. Make sure you order the correct camera size adapter! He calls it "lens cap" size, but I would call it "filter ring size". The kit below comes with the 62mm

• “A” 46mm-55mm – the possibility of purchasing magnetic mounting rings with sizes 46mm, 49mm, 52mm and 55mm.

•“B” 58mm-67mm – the possibility of purchasing magnetic mounting rings with sizes 58mm, 60mm, 62mm and 67mm.

•”C” 67mm-82mm – the possibility of purchasing magnetic mounting rings with sizes 67mm, 72mm, 77mm and 82mm.

I need the B for my Nikon 105mm (62mm) and I ordered a 67mm magnetic ring for Laowa 90 (67mm).
1672251340255.png

1672250340219.png

Then you magnetically attach the shield side magnetically. Don't worry it won't fall off! To change the shield material you unscrew the bottom screws on the shield and fit on the other material.

I also ordered a size C set for my Sony 100-400 because I use that lens a LOT for dragonflies, bees, and butterflies (etc).

Make sure you get whatever sizes you might need on your first order because it takes them a LONG time to deliver!!! Many weeks to months. But it will eventually get to you! I sent a friendly email inquiry after about 3 weeks!. Once he ships it takes about a week, with most of the time on the USPS side !!

The Popeshield store is VERY confusing!!!! So triple check you are getting the correct stuff!!!!

I hope this helps!

Back