Portable hides/camo gear

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I sometimes use a Tragopan Hokki ground blind for specific subjects in specific locations like Grouse on a Lek or waterfowl at a pond where there's a high probability of having them come in close if I'm well hidden. But for general field wildlife photography I don't use blinds much nor do I wear camo gear.

I should modify that to say I played with using camo gear a while back but it wasn't really for the wildlife as much as to try to avoid roadside jams by hopefully blending in a bit and not drawing so much attention when working in national parks. These days I pretty much just wear earth tone clothes but still try to avoid drawing attention to myself when working near the roads in national parks.

I use the Tragopan V6 blind (https://photographyblinds.com/collections/tragopan-v6/products/tragopan-photography-blind-v6) and love it! Plenty big enough to be comfortable, and lots of ports for your camera.
I'll second the V6 blind. Wish it was just a bit taller as my head hits the top when sitting in a chair, but otherwise a wonderful tool. I bought it a several years ago with many of the add-ons (back extension, rain cover, etc.) but never use all the other stuff, just the blind. It goes up and folds back down quickly, relatively light to carry.

Although I have a portable ground blind, I much prefer a ghillie jacket. I've found the ground blind a pain to carry more than a couple of hundred yards, really hot in hot weather, the field of view is too limited and it's sometimes frustrating to collapse and put back in the case. I much prefer a ghillie jacket similar to this: https://www.ghilliesuitwarehouse.com/collections/hunting-ghillie-suits/products/warrior-ghillie-suit. I got mine, from a different maker, on sale for about $30. It packs into a stuff sack that fits in my pack with my 100-400mm lens, lunch and water. I wouldn't use a string-type ghillie suit if I was walking in thick woodland since the strings would get caught on every twig, but when in a stationary location I think they're the best camo of all.

Last edited:
If you’re hiking, a ghillie suit or combo lens/body hide like the lenscoat are good choices. https://www.lenscoat.com/lenshide-photo-blind-c-55.html
I wore a gillie suit once and was mistaken for Bigfoot.

IMG_0987.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Thanks, guys. I have some camo netting but it's horrible to use as its always catching on sticks and branches so I want something more practical. I like the sound of the camo bug netting 🤔.

Most creatures (us included) are very sensitive to movement, It doesn't matter how much the ghillie suit blends with the surroundings if you're moving about, scratching an itch, swatting mosquitoes, or continually looking around, the Camo clothing isn't doing a lot for you. For most photography earth tones, clothing that doesn't make a "swish swish" sound when you walk or move and sitting still & keeping quiet are the best camouflage.
[edited to correct an "autocorrect" mistake]

Last edited:
I swear by Ghili suits. I’ve used 2 for hunting Turkey and Deer for 30+ years. Maybe longer, I’ve had them so so long its hard to remember when I bought them,
Breaking up your outline buys you time, I’ve had deer know I was there but not know what I was and just stamp, head bob, etc for a long time.
Straight camo or earth tones and their gone. I used earth tones as a base but love the ghili. I’ve had people criticize me because “ warblers know your there anyway” That may be true usually but I don’t just shoot warblers. deer, bear, mink, etc always seem to walk out when you don’t expect it. Breaking your outline relaxes the animal and buys you time and sometimes they never know your there.

I started using a lens coat lens hide this year. I ordered the rain version the first time and can’t recommend that. it has a heavy plastic on top that makes it rain proof but it’s distorts your vision and severely Limits your perifial vision. Esp when the sun is hitting it.
I returned It and got the lightweight version and I love that. It’s been great waiting for ducks and deer. Fits in your backpack or even a big coat pocket.

I use a ghillie suit fairly often, but since I purchased this camouflage mesh net I have used it less and less. This product is great https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.17.21ef1802zB3y1m
For approx $25 you can purchase 8m x 1.5m( nearly 30ft x 5ft ) with which you can make at least 2 nets, that will cover you and your camera on a tripod.
Which is approx. 10% of the cost of the Rolanpro equivalent. And it is mesh which which gives good airflow.
Plus free shipping !!

I use a ghillie suit fairly often, but since I purchased this camouflage mesh net I have used it less and less. This product is great https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.17.21ef1802zB3y1m
For approx $25 you can purchase 8m x 1.5m( nearly 30ft x 5ft ) with which you can make at least 2 nets, that will cover you and your camera on a tripod.
Which is approx. 10% of the cost of the Rolanpro equivalent. And it is mesh which which gives good airflow.
Plus free shipping !!
Thanks for that. I've just ordered some as it's cheap enough to try before I splash out on the more expensive Lenscoat.

I’ve had good experiences with the Tragopan V6 partnered with a walk stool that easily fits in the V6 bag. It is somewhat height limited, as others have mentioned, but I’ve had birds come remarkably close when I’m in it. It’s quite light, but the carry pack is a little awkward, esp. if you’re also carrying a camera pack.

Back