Portal AZ & Chiricahua National Monument

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This is an area of Arizona which doesn't have a lot of visitors (not complaining lol) but is well worth a visit. I grew up about 60 miles to the east of Portal AZ on the New Mexico side. As a kid we would go down and chop fire wood for the winter. I never appreciated the area until later in life, it's a beautiful part of Arizona/New Mexico. If you've never been and love the outdoors, it's a destination worth visiting. The lower campgrounds were pretty full but it was Labor Day weekend. Compared to other parks, the number of people there was minimal. If you love astro photography, it's a destination spot for sure, dark sky area.

On to the photos, enjoy the day all.
Hatch

Sony A1 by hatch1921, on Flickr

I have been to Chiricahua National Monument a few times (it is where I saw my first wild coatis). However, I only went to Portal once when I first moved here about thirty years ago. I got there at dusk, just walked around for half an hour, then had to leave. I need to go spend time there because I heard it's a good place for wildlife.

I have been to Chiricahua National Monument a few times (it is where I saw my first wild coatis). However, I only went to Portal once when I first moved here about thirty years ago. I got there at dusk, just walked around for half an hour, then had to leave. I need to go spend time there because I heard it's a good place for wildlife.
It's worth another visit for sure. Lots of hiking trails, scenic views, and wildlife. This time of year is pretty amazing, chilly in the morning there and in the low 80's in the afternoon/evening.

Beautiful pictures. I feel like people sleep on Arizona. Everyone thinks Grand Canyon, but there is a lot more to see. I lived in Phoenix for a couple years in school, loved AZ - Sedona, Saguaro, and Chiricahua as you so well illustrated.

Beautiful pictures. I feel like people sleep on Arizona. Everyone thinks Grand Canyon, but there is a lot more to see. I lived in Phoenix for a couple years in school, loved AZ - Sedona, Saguaro, and Chiricahua as you so well illustrated.
I agree, there's so much to see from the top to the bottom of the state.

Many thanks all, glad you enjoyed the images and thank you for the comments.

Hatch

Back