Possible Aurora event again tonight?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

AlanB313

Supporting Member
Marketplace
There's a possibility again of aurora similar to last May..... I got an alert from Spaceweatherlive that tonight MIGHT (emphasis on might) be a good night especially in higher latitudes.

Here's some of their text:

"The coronal mass ejection is fast and could arrive already tomorrow evening (UTC time), Thursday, 10 October based on our calculations with the NOAA SWPC going for an impact around 16 UTC. In response, the NOAA SWPC has issued a G4 or greater geomagnetic storm watch which stands for a Kp of 8 or perhaps even Kp9! This is totally justified based on the data we have available. Of course it remains a dangerous game to compare this event to events like we had last May where we did reach the Extreme G5 geomagnetic storm level but there is absolutely a chance we get to see a similar event like we had back in May if the solar wind and IMF parameters are favourable. This could very well be a rematch for those who missed the storm back in May when aurora was seen visible overhead from latitudes like England, Belgium and Germany in Europe and a decent portion of the upper United States. Do not go anywhere the coming days, keep your phone charged, SpaceWeatherLive open in your browser and have the alerts turned on in our app. This could be good for those of you in locations who normally do not get to see aurora."

I don't have time to post much more...we are thinking of driving out into the Central Valley like we did last May. At that time, there was a KP of 7 and it rose to KP9 while we were waiting. However, in the time I have typed this message, the KP Index went from KP8+ to KP6, so the standard qualifications apply: you never know what will happen.

Maybe our European and east coast US forum members are already seeing something?
Good luck if you try. If we get to see something, I'll post if I can...
--Alan

Around 7:20 PM eastern time we got quite show in Massachusetts. The sky lit up red in all directions. Pillars of red light in every direction. It was very bright to the naked eye, the red glow coming through my windows caught my attention. I had no time to compose any kind of decent shots. I got a couple shots on my Z8 that I'll post tomorrow if they came out. The substorm only lasted about 10 minutes. It was reported to be bright enough to see with the naked eye in downtown Boston with all the light pollution. Hopefully there will be some more strong substorms for everyone on the west coast. I took this shot with my cellphone from my driveway. Right now there is just a slight pink glow that is barely visible.

aurora RS.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
We are in the central valley delta after driving about 45 mins east of where we live. It was a kp8 when we left but by the time we got to where it's dark enough, it was a kp5. We may have missed it but we'll wait for another 1/2 hour.
I tried a 10 sec exposure and got a faint pink glow.

Back