power bank for the z9?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

and i’m pretty fond of the ugreen 100 and 200w multichargers to charge the packs

IMG_2123.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

IMG_2144.jpeg

Maybe a real engineer will show up, but in terms of # of times over you can charge your Z9 battery (or simply power the Z9 via cable) I believe it would be the watt hours. So roughly,

Nitecore = 20,000mAh * 3.85V = 77Wh
Z9 battery = 10.8 V * 3300mAh = 36Wh

77/36 = 2.1x, not accounting for the potential improvement in battery performance by being heated in an insulated pouch v.s. freezing in the camera body.
Thanks.

If you had a long cable, could you run the Z9 from a power block, while keeping the power block under your parka so that it would stay warmer? Or put the block in a pocket with a chemical handwarmer?

You can charge the EN EL 18d batteries using the Z9 charger block attached to a PD power brick. I’ve used the Anker block I mentioned above. That would allow you to not bring the Z9 itself into the warmth.
Thanks. I'll keep spare batteries and PBs in my jacket and am not too worried about the life of the battery in the camera during the day of shooting, but if a problem I'll simply hand the PB from the tripod plugged into the camera. Another option others have used is to attach a chemical hand warming pack to the camera where the battery resides. And thanks for confirming that the brick takes the USB connection from a PB; don't want to be bringing the camera (or lenses) into the heated dining tent where the inverter will be.

I have the Anker PowerCore+ 26800mAh PD 45W and use in my camera trap with the Z6II to keep the battery in the camera charged. It's been used for up to 4 nights and it is still 80 % and the camera battery is 100%. It's been down in the teens a few nights I had it out.

I also use it up at the Sax-Zim Bog to recharge my Sony A7r V and I keep the battery in my jacket to keep it warm.
Thank you, sir!

If it's any consolation, I was in Northern Minnesota last winter and the temps hit -35F throughout the week. The Z9 battery lasted all day long without doing anything. I have a spare battery anyway, but I just simply charged the battery I used each night and rotated them throughout the week I was there. No issues. Not sure what temps you're expecting, but the larger battery performs very well in cold temps. I also didn't take a lot of video either though, or use live view much.
Unlikely to get that cold (although utterly possible of course; Pond Inlet was -36c yesterday :) ), and yes I've shot at the temp for the day on my Z9 and used just one battery, so not overly concerned with the performance of the battery while shooting; just about getting the battery charged and keeping them charged when not in use (in the absence of heat for the majority of the 24 hour days). And definitely I need to wean myself off chimping too much in cold weather generally :)

The primary use is to charge the battery via USB charging. You could rig it up on a dummy battery and it would run the camera. I am exploring that option for my camera trap, but so far it is doing a good job keeping the battery charged.
Thanks. Plan is not to use the PB to 'run' the camera but to have 'power' available and to back the battery up while shooting (if that scenario becomes needed).

Thanks. Plan is not to use the PB to 'run' the camera but to have 'power' available and to back the battery up while shooting (if that scenario becomes needed).
fwiw, charging the battery in the external charger appears to “only” pull 9v @3a
IMG_2091.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to the party. I've been using the GoalZero Sherpa 100PD for several years. Works well out in the not-harsh field for all my devices (except the laptop), fits nicely in a backpack or back pocket. Used it with my Z6 and Z7II (En-EL15b and c) but haven't tried it on the Z9 car battery yet.

On your original question "Wondering what parameter I need to consider re whether it will be adequate to charge a Z9 battery.", it looks like John Navitski had your answer.

20231217_113047.jpg

I'm a bit late to the party. I've been using the GoalZero Sherpa 100PD for several years. Works well out in the not-harsh field for all my devices (except the laptop), fits nicely in a backpack or back pocket. Used it with my Z6 and Z7II (En-EL15b and c) but haven't tried it on the Z9 car battery yet.

On your original question "Wondering what parameter I need to consider re whether it will be adequate to charge a Z9 battery.", it looks like John Navitski had your answer.

fwiw, i have the sherpa 100pd as well and in general it works well and i think an improvement over their previous offerings. here’s the output modes it supports. my primary grip is the single usb-c port

IMG_2147.jpeg

IMG_2117.jpeg

I don't even know the question to ask, really.

Looking at powerbanks that perform in the cold looking ahead to my arctic trip in April. Have found one that heats itself (using very little power) and will retain 70% charge at -20C over 24 hours.

Wondering what parameter I need to consider re whether it will be adequate to charge a Z9 battery. The only technical information I see that might be relevant is this:
Capacity20,000mAh 3.85V

Assuming that answers the question, one way or the other? In product description is says only it will charge a cell phone several times.

Thanks.
Steven, I use the one recommended by Nikon. I can send you the Amazon link if you can buy from them. It's listed at $79 USD. It's the most powerful powerbank allowed in cabin luggage on US Airlines and most others.

Anker PowerCore+ 26800mAh PD 45W with 60W PD Charger, Power Delivery Portable Charger Bundle for USB C MacBook Air/Pro/Dell XPS, iPad Pro, iPhone 14/13/12 Series, and More​

Thanks. I'll keep spare batteries and PBs in my jacket and am not too worried about the life of the battery in the camera during the day of shooting, but if a problem I'll simply hand the PB from the tripod plugged into the camera. Another option others have used is to attach a chemical hand warming pack to the camera where the battery resides. And thanks for confirming that the brick takes the USB connection from a PB; don't want to be bringing the camera (or lenses) into the heated dining tent where the inverter will be.
One other thought. You might want to test the cable you will use to connect the brick to the charger block. I believe some USB-C cables are power only and some are power and data; either of which might be fine for charging. Not sure if there is any risk that some cables are data only and would not work for charging. I’ve used various cables (Anker, Belkin and Apple) that work fine for charging and data. But I do test them with any new set-up.

Steven, I use the one recommended by Nikon. I can send you the Amazon link if you can buy from them. It's listed at $79 USD. It's the most powerful powerbank allowed in cabin luggage on US Airlines and most others.

Anker PowerCore+ 26800mAh PD 45W with 60W PD Charger, Power Delivery Portable Charger Bundle for USB C MacBook Air/Pro/Dell XPS, iPad Pro, iPhone 14/13/12 Series, and More​

Thanks. I'll compare these specs against the PBs that are designed for deep cold.

One other thought. You might want to test the cable you will use to connect the brick to the charger block. I believe some USB-C cables are power only and some are power and data; either of which might be fine for charging. Not sure if there is any risk that some cables are data only and would not work for charging. I’ve used various cables (Anker, Belkin and Apple) that work fine for charging and data. But I do test them with any new set-up.
Definitely. Plan is to use Nikon 'power' USB as supplied; I have at least two -- USB cables apparently easily succumb to freezing weather, I've been warned.

Back