PRINTING - Lightroom vs Photoshop vs Qimage One

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ivan Rothman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I previously did my printing from Photoshop. More recently I've used Lightroom.
I have been playing with a program called QImage One. Useful for placing multiple photos on a single sheet when printing. But the newer version of this program seems to have so good tools to use when printing a single image.
Does anyone have any experience or comments regarding whether best to print from Photoshop or from Lightroom. Or perhaps from Qimage One.

If your are letting the printer color profile control the print process than the source application does not matter. I would focus on the profiles available for your printer, both from the manufacturer and from third party sources.

I use Qimage and love it. It runs as a plug in from Lightroom, so once you have an image you want to print selected in lightroom, start QImage and print. I use the Qimage interpolation and output sharpening and find it works very well.

I use Qimage and love it. It runs as a plug in from Lightroom, so once you have an image you want to print selected in lightroom, start QImage and print. I use the Qimage interpolation and output sharpening and find it works very well.
What's the added value (vs. just printing in LR)?

What's the added value (vs. just printing in LR)?

I find it much easier to use. I haven't even begun to explore all it's features, but one thing I like is you can save all your settings/printer profiles based on the paper. Once you select the paper, it pulls the right profile, media type, whether manual feed or not. It has several interpolation and output sharpening methods. If you are doing multiple prints, even of various sizes, it automatically maximizes paper layout for you. Maybe lightroom does this all easily as well, but I find the QImage much more intuitive. It's reasonably priced, $139 lifetime license.

I find it much easier to use. I haven't even begun to explore all it's features, but one thing I like is you can save all your settings/printer profiles based on the paper. Once you select the paper, it pulls the right profile, media type, whether manual feed or not. It has several interpolation and output sharpening methods. If you are doing multiple prints, even of various sizes, it automatically maximizes paper layout for you. Maybe lightroom does this all easily as well, but I find the QImage much more intuitive. It's reasonably priced, $139 lifetime license.
Thanks Rich. Easy is good, and the LR print module can be a bit confusing/hard to setup at times. Just unsure if it's worth the extra $139 (for me) on top of the annual LR fee. I guess I'll watch this thread to see how it plays out.

Back