Pro Grade CF Express Card Reader - MacBook hanging ... resolved!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BorderBirder

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi I thought I'd share this in case anyone has had a similar experience:

Pro Grade PG05.5 CF Express B/SD Card Reader

My Macbook Pro ( M1 Max 32 GB running Ventura 13.6.6 ) kept hanging after uploading images to Lightroom Classic, necessitating shut down and restart and dealing with the usual report to Apple / Adobe messages - not a lot of fun!
I was disappointed as it has been a well rated Card Reader in many user reviews. On contacting customer support at Pro Grade, they informed there is a firmware update that works with Mac but must be carried out on a Windows machine. After disabling virus protection on my wife's Windows NUC, I got an error message. No progress. I contacted Pro Grade a second time and they (Ingrid) replied with another zipped file for a second attempt. The firmware update on Windows gave the encouraging message "Success! Please relink the USB device".

I duly plugged the card reader into my MacBook and... success. The system no longer hangs, and (unlike before !!) the Card Reader / Mac allows you to eject the card as soon as Lightroom has finished an import.

Very pleased with the result, and if sharing helps anyone else I'll be even happier.

Last edited:
Back