Problem importing from a CFE to Windows

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Gongster

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have now got a Z6iii to replace my D500. I started off just using an SD card and could quite happily import RAW and Jpeg images into my computer, an Acer Inspire C24. Processing in Lightroom and Photoshop has not been an issue.
I have now bought a Delkin Power 128GB CFE. When I tried to import the RAW images from that into my computer nothing happened, File Explorer would not respond.
I then tried to import them into an old Acer laptop and they imported successfully. So with that, I downloaded them onto a memory stick and attempted to download them into my C24 by that method. As I imported them, with a few, a box popped up to tell my that a particular image was corrupted ( or something similar) but I managed to import a few. However, the files would not open in Photos or in Lightroom as they weren't recognised.
Any advice on what to do next please, other than buy a new computer as it's only about a year old.
Thanks.

Can you describe exactly how you’re importing images files from the CFe card to your computer? And what exactly is the error message you’re getting when you import them from the flash drive?

I can't really tell from your post what you did and what happened. "Import" and "download" - do you mean copying using Windows File Explorer? And you can't do with the CFe exactly what you did with the SD? Have a look at these posts:

Can you describe exactly how you’re importing images files from the CFe card to your computer? And what exactly is the error message you’re getting when you import them from the flash drive?
Thanks for responding, I put the CFe into a Lexar card reader, the first time I used it, connected the card reader to the USB port in my computer, it made a beep to indicate the the PC had recognised something had been attached. Then absolutely nothing happened. I opened File Explorer but it would not respond.
What I normally do is the same, attach my SD card to a reader, put it in the PC and then import into Photos. I then choose the ones I want to process in Lightroom and then import them in individually as wanted.
This time, having failed with my latest PC , I used the Lexar card reader and followed the same procedure in my old laptop. This process worked fine.
I then copied them to a memory stick and tried to copy them off the memory stick into my new PC. The ones that did copy, when I tried to open them, displayed a message telling me that this file is not supported.
Seems to me that the problem lies in my new PC, but I'm far from an expert in this subject!

I can't really tell from your post what you did and what happened. "Import" and "download" - do you mean copying using Windows File Explorer? And you can't do with the CFe exactly what you did with the SD? Have a look at these posts:

Archibald, that's exactly what I mean, thanks for responding and for the info. I don't think that the problem lies with the card because the photos imported perfectly into my old laptop. Perhaps there's a problem with my latest PC.

Try downloading the latest Nikon Codec. It sounds like the computer is not able to see or display the specific files from the new camera. Also make sure your computer is up to date with any operating system updates. Make sure you are using a current cable with the CFExpress reader. Sometimes the issue is the cable.

I'm running a Lexar reader with a Delkin Power CFExpress card and don't have any issues using Windows.

On a temporary basis, you can also try connecting your camera to your computer with a cable.

Try downloading the latest Nikon Codec. It sounds like the computer is not able to see or display the specific files from the new camera. Also make sure your computer is up to date with any operating system updates. Make sure you are using a current cable with the CFExpress reader. Sometimes the issue is the cable.

I'm running a Lexar reader with a Delkin Power CFExpress card and don't have any issues using Windows.

On a temporary basis, you can also try connecting your camera to your computer with a cable.
Thanks Eric, I appreciate your help.

Back