Problem importing RAW files into Adobe Photoshop Express

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've just tried importing into Adobe Photoshop Express my first RAW files since upgrading to a Nikon Z7ii. The problem is that although I can see JPEG files as full-screen in Express RAW files only appear as a thumbnail. I've tried using the zoom function at the top of the screen but this still doesn't make the files large enough to work with. I never had this problem when I imported RAW files from my D800. I've just checked in the camera's shooting menu and it's set to RAW L , lossless compressed. Suggestions as to the cause and solution to the problem would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I think you need the paid version? If you have the paid version it probably needs updating to handle the modern camera's raw files. All .NEF are not equal, they vary by camera model.

Last edited:
What year is your PSE version? Pre the Z7ii. You may have an old version of Camera RAW. IF that is true you can upgrade. I can tell you how to upgrade only camera RAW but you need to be a little savvy with your computer. Not expert but know how to navigate to files.

Many thanks for your comments. I'm running 3.12.430 of PSE dated 2023. I suspect that you could be correct in that I'll have to go to the paid version. As an aside, I always thought that the image quality of shots from my D800 weren't bad. I'm blown away by just how good they are with the Z7ii. Whether it's the body and not the Z 24-120 lens I'm not sure but I'm so pleased I upgraded.

Back