Problem saving Z8 files from Capture NX2

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've encountered a problem trying to save Z8 files as jpgs from Capture NX2. I know it won't open Z8 RAW files (so please don't tell me it's an old program and non-compatible without reading the rest of my post!) just as it won't open my Z7ii or D850 files. My workaround for the Z7ii and D850 RAW files has been to open them in Studio NX or DXO PL6 and then export them as TIFFs to CNX2. I then do my editing, and save them as jpgs, ready for printing. I have tried the same process with Z8 files. The imported TIFF opens fine in CNX2, and all editing proceeds as normal, but when I try to save the edited file as a jpg, it seems to be saving, but at the last instant it stalls, and I get the message "Alert (2) Could not save file". As a workaround, I can always save the edited file as a TIFF or NEF, and then save as a jpg in Studio NX, but that is an extra stage I'd rather not have. I don't quite understand why CNX2 will open and edit the TIFFs, but will then not save them as jpgs (though it does quite happily with Z7ii and D850 files run through the same workflow). Any bright ideas? (and please save me suggestions about more modern software - I like CNX2!)
(I have posted the same question on Nikonians, but no enlightenment as yet...)

Yes. I just think the U-points took a step backwards after CNX2. The ability to combine U-points with the other masking tools in CNX2 means I can target adjustments much more quickly and precisely than any other software that (supposedly) uses the same technology, whether NX Studio, or DXO PL6/Nik.

Understand you want to continue using CNX2, I was simply asking about troubleshooting steps.

It's been years since I've even had CNX2 intstalled, so I don't have any magic bullets for you but would suggest more troubleshooting steps. For example, I'm wondering if it could be something with the JPG settings you're using to save the file from CNX2, even though they may be the same as you've been using? Have you tried saving the JPG with less resolution? Or saving it as a different file type?

From CNX2, the edited files save perfectly happily as TIFFs or NEFs - and re-open without any problem in CNX2 and Studio NX! (but still won't save as jpgs in CNX2) Which is why I can't quite understand the jpg issue... Maybe there is something in the EXIF which alerts CNX2 that the file is from a Z8, which it doesn't know about - but then why allow you to go through all the editing, and why isn't it an issue with D850 or Z7ii (or, come to that, with TIFF imports from a Panasonic LX100 from Silkypix)? A real head-scratcher, this one...!

You could try an EXIF reader to see if there is anything different in the TIFF metadata for Z8 files that causes the issue. Maybe a copyright entry that makes CNX2 unwilling to export?

As a workaround, have you tried using DNG instead of TIFF as the intermediate file format?

The metadata issue had vaguely occurred to me, but then why would CNX2 open the TIFF, accept all the edits, and give every appearance of doing the jpg save, before stalling at the last instant? I will have a look though. I don't think DNG is feasible - don't think CNX2 recognises the format.

Agree that the metadata would be the next bit to check. My suggestion would be to have DXO save a TIFF file with all of the metadata stripped and see if CNC2 will allow you to save that as a JPG.

Back