Problem with D3500 with Sigma

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have been using the Nikon D3500 with the 150-600 for 2 years now, but recently ran into some problems. The focus has started pulsing occasionally, so it misses focus sometimes. Also, the burst speed of 5fps has been slowed down some and random shots in a burst are skipped. Lastly, while I was shooting terns the other day, after a quick burst of shots, the camera started making a whirring noise for almost 30 seconds. Shutter count is 65000, lens is updated to latest firmware.

I have been using the Nikon D3500 with the 150-600 for 2 years now, but recently ran into some problems. The focus has started pulsing occasionally, so it misses focus sometimes. Also, the burst speed of 5fps has been slowed down some and random shots in a burst are skipped. Lastly, while I was shooting terns the other day, after a quick burst of shots, the camera started making a whirring noise for almost 30 seconds. Shutter count is 65000, lens is updated to latest firmware.
Hard to say what's going on but I'd start by carefully cleaning the electrical contacts on both the lens and the lens mount with a clean microfiber cloth dampened with alcohol as dirty or oxidized electrical contacts can cause all kinds of troubles. I'd also check to see if there's excessive wobble in that lens mount or if the lens twists a tiny bit when mounted and if flexing or twisting that mount changes the symptoms as a slightly bent or loose lens mount can also cause the kinds of problems you're reporting.

Hard to say what's going on but I'd start by carefully cleaning the electrical contacts on both the lens and the lens mount with a clean microfiber cloth dampened with alcohol as dirty or oxidized electrical contacts can cause all kinds of troubles. I'd also check to see if there's excessive wobble in that lens mount or if the lens twists a tiny bit when mounted and if flexing or twisting that mount changes the symptoms as a slightly bent or loose lens mount can also cause the kinds of problems you're reporting.
Will do. A loose lens mount has happened to me with the exact same combo before, so definitely possible. There is a small amount of movement when I twist it, but it is still connected and not as bad as before when I lost the control of settings.

Back