ProGrade CF Express reader hanging up on Z8 files

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

NWGuy

Trying to get files from the CF Express card from Z8 hanging up - getting spinning beachball of death. CF Express card - Prograde Gold 256 GB, formatted in camera, reader is ProGrade CFExpress/SD reader - tried on 2 different readers, connected by USB-C. Downloading to external hard drive connected to Mac Studio. Can open the card and DCIM folder, but if trying to copy, rename or move image files (all NEF), everything freezes, get the spinning beachball. Eventually processes but many minutes later. Doesn't do this with similar card from Z6ii or SD card from Z50. Once files on HD, no problems with the files. First time ever experiencing this. Anyone with similar problem, or is it just me?😬

I cannot help with your card reader problem.

You can download from the Z8 using a USB C at both ends cable if your computer accepts USB C

A USB C to USB A should work if your computer has only USB A connection.

Trying to get files from the CF Express card from Z8 hanging up - getting spinning beachball of death. CF Express card - Prograde Gold 256 GB, formatted in camera, reader is ProGrade CFExpress/SD reader - tried on 2 different readers, connected by USB-C. Downloading to external hard drive connected to Mac Studio. Can open the card and DCIM folder, but if trying to copy, rename or move image files (all NEF), everything freezes, get the spinning beachball. Eventually processes but many minutes later. Doesn't do this with similar card from Z6ii or SD card from Z50. Once files on HD, no problems with the files. First time ever experiencing this. Anyone with similar problem, or is it just me?😬.
Did you happen to just upgrade to 13.4. I had a weird issue with this upgrade. Both my 2021 M1 MPB and my 2018 MBA both would not do certain Finder type operations until hours after install, as if the computer was reindexing things. For example, no Save As in Excel, to Save to PDF. It could be that if you just upgraded. Same spinning beach ball.

I assume the Z8 files are much larger than the Z50 or Z6. Could you have an issue causing your external drive to be writing slowly? Does an import from the reader to your Mac’s internal SSD run normally?

Using a ProGrade 128GB CFExpress card (1700MB/s) and a Delkin card reader (USB-A) the file copy time is not bad, but creating standard previews in Lightroom is like watching paint dry for HEIF* NEF files. On my elderly 2015 iMac it took 34 minutes to import and render 125 images with roughly 90% of that time dedicated to rendering previews. Granted my iMac is not the latest and greatest, but I've imported enough Z7II and D850 NEF files to understand the difference is "yuge". I'm hoping Adobe will bring an update that speeds up preview rendering for the HEIF* files. If not, I will go back to lossless compressed.

On my elderly 2015 iMac it took 34 minutes to import and render 125 images with roughly 90% of that time dedicated to rendering previews. Granted my iMac is not the latest and greatest, but I've imported enough Z7II and D850 NEF files to understand the difference is "yuge". I'm hoping Adobe will bring an update that speeds up preview rendering for the HEIF* files.
My very recent high end MacBook Pro does a similar task in about 1 minute.

Perhaps a sad thing to say - Computer technology more than about five years old is generally unable to handle modern image files and particularly AI processing with much other than pedestrian speed.

I cannot load current Lightroom/Photoshop or current Office to my now "emergency only" 11 year old MacBook Pro - that in its era was a highly specified top performer.

My very recent high end MacBook Pro does a similar task in about 1 minute.

Perhaps a sad thing to say - Computer technology more than about five years old is generally unable to handle modern image files and particularly AI processing with much other than pedestrian speed.

I cannot load current Lightroom/Photoshop or current Office to my now "emergency only" 11 year old MacBook Pro - that in its era was a highly specified top performer.
Wow, you're right. I just imported the same files onto a 2021 MBP with the M1 Max processor to a spinning drive and it took less than 2 minutes to import and build standard previews. :unsure: I think I hear a bell tolling for the old iMac...

Back