Pssst! Are You Awake???

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

A great egret seemingly wondering if it's safe to approach. Taken from the bridge at Lake Myakka this morning. I included a crop of the same shot for those that like more detail. (Yes, it's a very big gator)

205-studio by Kirk Behymer, on Flickr

205-studio2 by Kirk Behymer, on Flickr
Great shot Kirk! think the first shot tell a better story. I would love to know what their thinking.🤔

Great shot Kirk! think the first shot tell a better story. I would love to know what their thinking.🤔
Thank you! My guess would be he's dreaming of a plump, juicy photographer accidentally falling over the side of the bridge into the water right in front of him. 😄 :oops:

Yeah that guy is playing with fire. I've seen plenty of birds standing/walking right around gators. And have also seen several gators laying around with legs/feathers sticking out their mouths. Once saw a big bull grab an egret landing beside it. The bird's feet never got firmly planted on bottom before the gator erupted out of the water and grabbed it. I guess it just depends on last time they ate.

He's sure thinking hard about it! What a great interaction!
Thank you. I've never seen a bird creep up on one quite like that before, so I liked it a lot.
Yeah that guy is playing with fire. I've seen plenty of birds standing/walking right around gators. And have also seen several gators laying around with legs/feathers sticking out their mouths. Once saw a big bull grab an egret landing beside it. The bird's feet never got firmly planted on bottom before the gator erupted out of the water and grabbed it. I guess it just depends on last time they ate.
Thanks, Dan. Yep, it's not uncommon for them to eat birds. Getting close to test their hunger can be a big mistake.

Back