Pt. Reyes National Seashore wildlife, just above San Franciso

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Viathelens

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Spent a day and one-half in Pt. Reyes shooting with a guide. Even though I live about three hours away it was the first time I've photographed wildlife there. I was really wanting to get a nice bobcat shot and got that on the second day. It's a great area to photograph in. Bobcats, elk, coyote, birds and more.

1. Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron.
2. Female bobcat.
3. A "lowly" gopher that everyone hunts for dinner.
4. A greedy Great Blue Heron.

CCassinettoPtReyes-0362252023.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
CCassinettoPtReyes-1038122023.jpg
CCassinettoPtReyes-1155.jpg
CCassinettoPtReyes-8029152023.jpg

I have been there a couple times and it is a productive spot for wildlife. I was going to return on my vacation in a couple weeks but cancelled that and am going to Colorado Springs instead.

Spent a day and one-half in Pt. Reyes shooting with a guide. Even though I live about three hours away it was the first time I've photographed wildlife there. I was really wanting to get a nice bobcat shot and got that on the second day. It's a great area to photograph in. Bobcats, elk, coyote, birds and more.

1. Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron.
2. Female bobcat.
3. A "lowly" gopher that everyone hunts for dinner.
4. A greedy Great Blue Heron.

View attachment 69251View attachment 69252View attachment 69253View attachment 69254
Great series of photos. Point Reyes is a magical place. The NPS has an open comment period of time open right now to get public sentiment about taking down the "elk fence' the keeps the herd of Tule Elk at Pierce Point locked in a limited space that often has an inadequate water supply for them. Please go to https://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentForm.cfm?documentID=131377 and make a comment in favor of the fence. We really need to convince the NPS to prioritize the wildlife of Point Reyes over cattle farming in this national park.

Great series of photos. Point Reyes is a magical place. The NPS has an open comment period of time open right now to get public sentiment about taking down the "elk fence' the keeps the herd of Tule Elk at Pierce Point locked in a limited space that often has an inadequate water supply for them. Please go to https://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentForm.cfm?documentID=131377 and make a comment in favor of the fence. We really need to convince the NPS to prioritize the wildlife of Point Reyes over cattle farming in this national park.
Yes, my guide there, Daniel, sent me that and I was thinking about posting it here but you beat me to it. It's hard to believe this happens, that elk would be left to die of starvation, in this day and time. This happened in Jackson, WY, many years back, not sure of the date, maybe '30s but not really sure as I can't recall. The solution was to feed the elk on a preserve and that is still what is being done today. It's unthinkable to me that animals would simply be left to die.

Confused - you say they have limited water but you want them to keep the fence?

What will you be shooting in Colorado Springs?
When I land in Denver I am going first to Mount Evans for mountain goats. Then down to Colorado Springs for three nights to photograph Garden of the Gods for two and a half days. I may also do Pikes Peak, but may not. I was at Garden of the Gods briefly at sunset on my way through over a decade ago but want to dedicate more time for nice landscape shots. After I booked the trip I was very pleased to learn there is a resident herd of bighorn sheep there as well.

Nice set. Looks like an interesting place to wander around with a camera.
It was nice, beautiful views, too.
Nice group of shots, all. I love the capture of the gopher (groundhog?).
I think we call them gophers here in CA. Didn't he have a nice set of teeth! But the teeth don't seem to help save them as every animal hunts them.

Back