Puffins

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

fotogrob

Supporting Member
Marketplace
For several years, a group of friends and I have been trying to book a trip to Machias Seal Island to photograph Atlantic Puffins. As some may be aware, it is the southernmost habitat of the bird. The island is jointly occupied by Canada and the US with each country agreeing to disagree over the actual ownership. There is one boat by each country licensed to board the island. After missing out for 4 years, I had he good fortune to board the island July 11. Groups of 15 are divided into 3 blinds with an hour to shoot to puffins (the occasional razorback and gannet). Never a guarantee that you can board the island, the boat's capt. makes the decision depending on conditions water and weather conditions. When he made the announcement we would board be permitted to board the island, a cheer of relief and joy swept the boat. I can't wait to return
Fkying Puffin_small2420-.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Puffin Portrait small-2969.jpg
Puffin Duo_small2616-.jpg

Amazing shots Robert! I was wondering if you have an idea on the frequency that boarding of the island is not permitted due to weather. Did you book consecutive days in case of weather issues? Do you have a recommendation on lodging?

The first one is a real cracker. Very nice set. I can just image the tension building just before cappy says, yes, sounds like a really fun excursion.

For several years, a group of friends and I have been trying to book a trip to Machias Seal Island to photograph Atlantic Puffins. As some may be aware, it is the southernmost habitat of the bird. The island is jointly occupied by Canada and the US with each country agreeing to disagree over the actual ownership. There is one boat by each country licensed to board the island. After missing out for 4 years, I had he good fortune to board the island July 11. Groups of 15 are divided into 3 blinds with an hour to shoot to puffins (the occasional razorback and gannet). Never a guarantee that you can board the island, the boat's capt. makes the decision depending on conditions water and weather conditions. When he made the announcement we would board be permitted to board the island, a cheer of relief and joy swept the boat. I can't wait to returnView attachment 65620View attachment 65621View attachment 65622
Beautiful set Robert! The depth of field is amazing! Well done👍👍👍

Amazing shots Robert! I was wondering if you have an idea on the frequency that boarding of the island is not permitted due to weather. Did you book consecutive days in case of weather issues? Do you have a recommendation on lodging?
I meant to ask the Capt. but it slipped my mind. The first mate said that not all trips get to board the island so we were beyond happy. Booking more than one date is difficult. I wanted to but closed out of any consecutive date-- before or after. My friends booked a 3 BR cabin about 28 minutes away in Machias. Another friend recommended the Bluebird Motel in nearby Machias

The first one is a real cracker. Very nice set. I can just image the tension building just before cappy says, yes, sounds like a really fun excursion.
THanks. You have no idea. The isle is about 60 minutes from shore and all I kept thinking is please, let me get on the damn island. LOL

I meant to ask the Capt. but it slipped my mind. The first mate said that not all trips get to board the island so we were beyond happy. Booking more than one date is difficult. I wanted to but closed out of any consecutive date-- before or after. My friends booked a 3 BR cabin about 28 minutes away in Machias. Another friend recommended the Bluebird Motel in nearby Machias
Thank you! I’m going to try for next year. Your photos put to rest my questions on the Nikon z 100-400mm lens when in the hands of a skilled photographer. Did you take more than one lens? Did you find that this lens was ideal for the conditions? Did you find yourself needing another lens with more reach? Sorry for all the questions but I want to get it right if I get to go.

Thank you! I’m going to try for next year. Your photos put to rest my questions on the Nikon z 100-400mm lens when in the hands of a skilled photographer. Did you take more than one lens? Did you find that this lens was ideal for the conditions? Did you find yourself needing another lens with more reach? Sorry for all the questions but I want to get it right if I get to go.
I took the 100-400, 500 PF, 1.4 TC and a 70-200. From the boat I used the 500PF.TC combo and if you're lucky enough to board the island, the 100-400 served me well. So much in fact, I never used the 70-200 that was recommended though they are close enough to the blind to make use of it. Good luck

I was there on June 12th and was fortunate enough to board the island. I shoot a Canon R5 and the 100-500 was the perfect lens. I did put the 1.4x on for a while to pull in the birds that were out farther, closer to the shoreline, but it wasn’t necessary. There was plenty of opportunities within the 100-500’s range. Because you are in a blind the puffins will get within 4’ (of closer) to you. In addition to focal length, also consider minimum focus distance of the lens(es) you choose to bring.

I was there on June 12th and was fortunate enough to board the island. I shoot a Canon R5 and the 100-500 was the perfect lens. I did put the 1.4x on for a while to pull in the birds that were out farther, closer to the shoreline, but it wasn’t necessary. There was plenty of opportunities within the 100-500’s range. Because you are in a blind the puffins will get within 4’ (of closer) to you. In addition to focal length, also consider minimum focus distance of the lens(es) you choose to bring.
Thank you Tony! Very helpful. Did you get an idea how how often an island landing is prevented by bad weather?

Thank you Tony! Very helpful. Did you get an idea how how often an island landing is prevented by bad weather?
The crew said it’s really random, a combination of the weather, waves and tides. They time the arrival to be with the tides but don’t have any way to really predict the weather and waves 10 miles off shore.

For several years, a group of friends and I have been trying to book a trip to Machias Seal Island to photograph Atlantic Puffins. As some may be aware, it is the southernmost habitat of the bird. The island is jointly occupied by Canada and the US with each country agreeing to disagree over the actual ownership. There is one boat by each country licensed to board the island. After missing out for 4 years, I had he good fortune to board the island July 11. Groups of 15 are divided into 3 blinds with an hour to shoot to puffins (the occasional razorback and gannet). Never a guarantee that you can board the island, the boat's capt. makes the decision depending on conditions water and weather conditions. When he made the announcement we would board be permitted to board the island, a cheer of relief and joy swept the boat. I can't wait to returnView attachment 65620View attachment 65621View attachment 65622
Great shots indeed.

The crew said it’s really random, a combination of the weather, waves and tides. They time the arrival to be with the tides but don’t have any way to really predict the weather and waves 10 miles off shore.
Exactly. We were told the same

Back