Pure Green Metalic Sweat Bee

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Andrew Lamberson

Supporting Member
Marketplace

My 7-year-old Granddaughter is visiting her Grandma who is recovering from knee replacement surgery and she wanted to go out and "take pictures of really tiny bugs" ! (I'm so proud!!!). One of the best, according to Thea was this image of a Pure Green Sweat Bee and a Shining Flower Beetle. She insists that we have to figure out what the bug is, and "have some education" with the picture on my website!​

Pure Green Sweat Bee is a moderately-sized, solitary, metallic green, halictid bee. It occurs in the United States east of the Great Plains, and in adjacent Canadian provinces. It is common in the eastern two-thirds of Minnesota where it reaches the western extent of its range.

Shining Flower Beetle

Olibrus liquidus

The Phalacridae are a family of beetles commonly called the shining flower beetles, They are often found in composite flowers. They are oval-shaped, usually tan or black, and about 2 mm in length. Most species feed on fungus, although a number feed on flower heads.

She is very happy with the result! Please consider ourselves "educated" !
 Augochlora pura - Pure Green Sweat bee.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

My 7-year-old Granddaughter is visiting her Grandma who is recovering from knee replacement surgery and she wanted to go out and "take pictures of really tiny bugs" ! (I'm so proud!!!). One of the best, according to Thea was this image of a Pure Green Sweat Bee and a Shining Flower Beetle. She insists that we have to figure out what the bug is, and "have some education" with the picture on my website!​

Pure Green Sweat Bee is a moderately-sized, solitary, metallic green, halictid bee. It occurs in the United States east of the Great Plains, and in adjacent Canadian provinces. It is common in the eastern two-thirds of Minnesota where it reaches the western extent of its range.​

Shining Flower Beetle

Olibrus liquidus

The Phalacridae are a family of beetles commonly called the shining flower beetles, They are often found in composite flowers. They are oval-shaped, usually tan or black, and about 2 mm in length. Most species feed on fungus, although a number feed on flower heads.

She is very happy with the result! Please consider ourselves "educated" !
View attachment 68042From the pitting on the body, and the shape of the wings, I believe that this may actually be a Cuckoo wasp! Slightly different from a sweat bee, but no less beautiful

Back