QD plates with or without a metal insert?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Plates are not as stable as full replacement feet. I think also to answer one would need to know the metal composition of the plate itself.

I personally do not use separate plates.. The few times I have I sometimes encountered the plates working loose and starting to rotate.

the whole feet I have used include Kirk, Really Right Stuff and Hejnar. I use Really Sight Stuff QD rings exclusively. I have never had a QD connector come loose once I got it seated properly.

The use of a metal insert suggests the metal in the rest of the plate is softer and more prone to wear. If you made the whole plate out of tough wearing metal there would be no need for an insert.

Plates are not as stable as full replacement feet. I think also to answer one would need to know the metal composition of the plate itself.

I personally do not use separate plates.. The few times I have I sometimes encountered the plates working loose and starting to rotate.

the whole feet I have used include Kirk, Really Right Stuff and Hejnar. I use Really Sight Stuff QD rings exclusively. I have never had a QD connector come loose once I got it seated properly.

The use of a metal insert suggests the metal in the rest of the plate is softer and more prone to wear. If you made the whole plate out of tough wearing metal there would be no need for an insert.
The plates are always somewhat soft, typically being made from 6061 aluminium or similar. You want a tough, hard wearing material? You would be wanting something like steel……HEAVY……or a lightweight exotic like titanium….EXPENSIVE.
There will be people saying that anodising makes it harder….it’s true, it does make a thin layer at the surface harder but the base metal doesn’t change its properties. i.e a soft metal will still be a soft metal.
A metal insert, typically stainless steel, in your plate gives you a harder material and one more resistant to deformation.

As fast as rotation they have a little foot that grabs the factory foot so no worry there. I've used both Kirk and Hejnar and as far as how they snap in I can't tell the difference. There is something to be said about wear over time. I've wondered about it but so far I've no evidence of an issue.

I believe the OP is asking about the construction of the female QD receptacle itself. Some choose to have a liner, usually a metal ring (stainless?) whereas others do not. The few failures that I've seen reported have been in the cheap replacement set (foot/plate) and all have involved liners. It doesn't indict the concept of a liner per se, however it suggests avoiding the cheap brands. Over time, wear could certainly become an issue, and failure is certainly a possibility. I frequently inspect the holes for any deformation or visible wear and have found none so far with my Hejnar feet/plates. One could always email Chris and see if he has load tested his plates? As an aside, none of my firearms have liners (I suspect that the sockets are made of steel versus the aluminum alloys typical of most feet/plates) and I always use tethers on my camera equipment.

As the entire weight is supported by 4 small ball bearings inside a thin ring I would only use a Steel socket. Aluminum will wear too fast. I didn't like the idea of detaching the strap to mount the lens on the tripod so I screwed a Magpul socket to the foot and backfilled with epoxy.

IMG_0764.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
IMG_0771.jpg
IMG_0774.jpg

As the entire weight is supported by 4 small ball bearings inside a thin ring I would only use a Steel socket. Aluminum will wear too fast. I didn't like the idea of detaching the strap to mount the lens on the tripod so I screwed a Magpul socket to the foot and backfilled with epoxy.
Impressive undertaking though what is the load rating of the epoxy which is now the stress point?

I believe the OP is asking about the construction of the female QD receptacle itself. Some choose to have a liner, usually a metal ring (stainless?) whereas others do not. The few failures that I've seen reported have been in the cheap replacement set (foot/plate) and all have involved liners. It doesn't indict the concept of a liner per se, however it suggests avoiding the cheap brands. Over time, wear could certainly become an issue, and failure is certainly a possibility. I frequently inspect the holes for any deformation or visible wear and have found none so far with my Hejnar feet/plates. One could always email Chris and see if he has load tested his plates? As an aside, none of my firearms have liners (I suspect that the sockets are made of steel versus the aluminum alloys typical of most feet/plates) and I always use tethers on my camera equipment.
What do you use for your teather?

What do you use for your teather?
It depends on the foot/plate design and all of them represent a compromise. For example, the Hejnar foot on my 800 offers a second QD socket so, I simply use a second QD connector to the strap. Obviously, there are several potential points of failure including the strap, the connector, foot, sling, etc., though it offers a secondary fail safe. For my lenses or bodies where there isn't a secondary QD connector, I run a strap to the camera lug (this is for the L bracket QD where I am employing smaller lenses on the body) or alternatively a second strap around the foot or lens itself. There are a lot of methods and materials to do this, and typically, my tether is a paracord or other similar material with a sufficient load rating for the intended purpose.

I’ve been using QD attachment for a while. As long as you buy quality plate I would think you will be fine with either insert or no insert. RRS and Kirk would have a ton to loose if their product didn’t hold up over time. They are both premium brands with reputation that allows them to charge more. Just don’t go cheap route and you will be fine. Long ago I decided if I was going to buy expensive gear I wasn’t going to cheap out on support accessories.
I use Optec strap for safety just in case but that is to protect me against myself as much as it is the QD.

Impressive undertaking though what is the load rating of the epoxy which is now the stress point?
The insert is screwed to the aluminum with the USA made screw that came with the insert. I tapped the bottom of the hole so I didn't have a screw and nut on the backside. Belt And suspenders. lol The epoxy is for lateral support. A Magpul socket kit is about $15. Magpul invented the system for rifles which often have optics as expensive as cameras.

IMG_0773.jpg

Last edited:
The insert is screwed to the aluminum with the USA made screw that came with the insert. I tapped the bottom of the hole so I didn't have a screw and nut on the backside. Belt And suspenders. lol The epoxy is for lateral support. A Magpul socket kit is about $15. Magpul invented the system for rifles which often have optics as expensive as cameras.
Aha! Thanks for the clarification and it wasn't clear to me that you had tapped the original hole and screwed the apparatus together rather than relying on epoxy. Did you get a "sense" of the strength properties of the collar's metal when you were tapping it?

I do the opposite and use plates rather than replacement feet (Kirk or RRS, no experience with other manufacturers) on my Z 100-400 and 600 and 800 PF lenses. When balancing on the fluid head that I use for a gimbal I found the Arca-Swiss clamp usually gripped only a part of the replacement foot’s length when the lens was attached to my Z8 or Z9--how much differed with the body/lens combination, but sometimes much less than half the foot’s length.
Also, when carrying the lens/camera on a strap using a QD connection, the replacement foot’s QD insert position didn’t allow proper balance so the carry was either front or back (usually back) heavy depending on the lens and camera being used.
On my long lenses I use Kirk 4.5” universal plates (with a stainless steel QD insert) attached to the OEM foot with two screws. After determining the best position for use on a tripod (the plate reaching farther back toward the camera body than replacement feet do) I use blue Loctite to lock the plate in position. There is absolutely no rotation or any movement of the plate. No matter what lens and camera body I use, after finding the balance point, the Arca-Swiss clamp is gripping all plate, not just part of it. And since the QD connector on the plate is further back, the balance is much better when carrying on a strap.
An added bonus a plate costs much less than the Kirk or RRS replacement foot. You can buy other brand of plates for less, but I tend to have a lot of trust in Kirk products.

I suppose it is a trade off between potential failure points. Either the aluminum hole wears or distorts over time or the stainless steel insert falls out.
This subject was discussed extensively in another thread. The surface of anodized aluminum is actually harder/more resistant to wear than stainless steel. In fact the test used to quantify material hardness involves pressing a ball bearing or sharp point into the material. Much like the effect of the load caused by the QD connector in the socket.

I suspect that the designs which incorpate a stainless insert are more about overcoming marketing bias like those expressed forums like this than about optimal design. Ironically the insert adds another potential point of failure to the reliability equation.

As I consider going with a QD system, I see that there are plates with a metal liner in the QD hole aka Kirk and without like Hejnar. For those of you with experience is one more secure than the other?

As noted in another reply…generally I think replacement feet re better than plates…but machined or insert for the QD hole I’ve never really considered. More important than that I think is material choice and monitoring it for when it’s wearing and needs replacement…aluminum is softer than steel but I’ve not had any issues with mine and the cost savings of Hejnar over Kirk are substantial. Its been a long time since college…but while anodized aluminum is harder than non anodized…it is generally as I recall still softer than steel but it really depends on what kind of steel it is, stainless or not as well as other properties, heat treatment, etc. I have several Hejnar that are 3 years old that show no wear…and the price has always biased me against Kirk, RSS, Gitzo, and the other high priced spreads. I’m happy to pay more if it is worth it…but name and cachet are relatively unimportant to me.

I go with a quality brand, in the case of my Z400mm it's a Really Right Stuff foot which is anodized aluminum. If you've ever machined AA then you know how hard it is. I inspect it every now and then for cracks ect. but right now it appears good as new. On my Z400mm I also have a Black Rapid tether that goes from one of the foot collar strap slots to the ring on the QD just in case. Could that also fail? Yes, but at some point you just have not overthink it and having multiple belt and suspenders defeats the purpose of a quick disconnect.

Aha! Thanks for the clarification and it wasn't clear to me that you had tapped the original hole and screwed the apparatus together rather than relying on epoxy. Did you get a "sense" of the strength properties of the collar's metal when you were tapping it?
Yes, I milled the hole as well as tapping for the screw and the aluminum (Nikon) is very high quality. I Had no problems torquing the screw, I used Loctite as well. My original idea was just to wet the mating surfaces with epoxy but I had enough mixed and filled it. It will never come apart now! This could be done clamped on a drill press, I didn't use any of the mill's X-Y movements after set up and didn't remove much metal.

As far as Hard Anodizing goes, it's only a few mils thick. If the Soft Aluminum underneath deforms, the anodizing will crack.

Plates, feet, etc. are all made of aluminum which is softer than steel.

I think both are quality brands and you can't go wrong. I started with Kirk and have continued with them. They have nice packaging which includes end stops and tools. I get them from BH with no tax or shipping.

Back