Question about a hand strap, L bracket, and QD connection on a Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I always use a hand strap as my primary way of carrying my camera (when it is not in a bag) and a shoulder sling for long lenses with a collar. I have used different straps/slings over the years, but settled for a combination of a PD hand strap, sling, and a quick release plate for my Z6ii. It gave me flexibility, a small profile, and an arca plate in one solution.

Enter the Z8 and my desire to use an L bracket on this camera for landscape on a tripod. After considering more costly options I ordered Leofoto's Z8 plate based on another thread on this platform (tip: the LPN-Z8 plate is still available in the US from [email protected] for $40 including shipping).

Unfortunately this setup makes the PD quick release plate not only redundant but also an obstacle for mounting the camera directly with the L-bracket. At the same time the PD arca plate it is necessary for attaching the hand strap (all other hand straps I know of also attach to the tripod mount of the camera). See the photos for this setup.

However, this particular L-bracket does have a QD connection. So I am considering the following setup based on the QD option.

I have ordered an RRS QD swivel with a receded button to use as an alternative way to attach the PD handstrap to the L plate with a PD quick connector to the QD swivel rather than to the PD arca plate. The advantage of this setup would be that I could detach the handstrap quickly when I need to mount the camera on a tripod and can remove the PD arca plate. I am currently awaiting the arrival of the RRS QD connector from B&H.

However, I have no experience with QD connectors - my old black rapid had its own connector - and I am a bit weary of this new construction. After all, if the QD attachment of the hand strap comes loose I will drop my precious Z8. And with any QD connector that does not have a receded release button, the QD connector will come loose by just setting down the camera. In fact, on uneven or soft surfaces this may even be a problem with the RSS swivel that I have on order.

Does anyone have experience with a similar construction, or general insight into the (in)stability of this proposed setup based on their experience with QD connectors or this particular L bracket? Your experiences, ideas and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Strap 1_023.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Strap 2_024.JPG

Strap 3_025.JPG

There have been a few threads on here about QD attachment.
I know Kirk's Z8 L bracket comes with a QD port. Kirk items are not so easy to obtain in the Uk these days so I opted for a Smallrig Z8 L bracket which has a QD port and (unlike the Kirk) is a composite - i.e. you can remove the L side plate if you wish.

Safety wise Black Rapid sell a safety tether and another option that Patrick (I think) posted on here which I use is an Op/Tech 1301422 Uniloop XL connector.
One part attached to the foot (on a long lens) or on the side of the L bracket and the other to the push button swivel. This can quickly be snapped apart when you want to detach the combo from the QD strap.

Since I bought mine Leofoto offer one which attaches with a hex screw. I think this is preferrable to the Smallrig which used a flat head screw.

Last edited:
I know Kirk's Z8 L bracket comes with a QD port. Kirk items are not so easy to obtain in the Uk these days so I opted for a Smallrig Z8 L bracket which has a QD port and (unlike the Kirk) is a composite - i.e. you can remove the L side plate if you wish.

Safety wise Black Rapid sell a safety tether and another option that Patrick (I think) posted on here which I use is an Op/Tech 1301422 Uniloop XL connector.
One part attached to the foot (on a long lens) or on the side of the L bracket and the other to the push button swivel. This can quickly be snapped apart when you want to detach the combo from the QD strap.

Since I bought mine Leofoto offer one which attaches with a hex screw. I think this is preferrable to the Smallrig which used a flat head screw.
Thank you Ambler, I am looking into this option. I may use it as an insurance while I (hopefully) get to trust the QD system. If not I may just go to a PD sling permanently, and use a little wrist strap for when I detach the camera from it. I carried my film SLR for many years in that way.

Thank you again for your suggestion.

Having looked a bit further into the options I think I will order a PD Cuff wrist strap. While I think it is a bit overpriced, it will fit into my PD ecosystem by enabling me to attach the strap to a PD connector on the right side lug strap. That way, if the QD would fail I will still have the camera attached to my wrist. Alternatively I can attach my PD slide there if I mount just a small lens and carry the camera over my shoulder.

As long as the lug straps of the Z8 hold I should be fine ;)

Back