Question about Peak Design Capture Clip

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi,
I was thinking of getting Peak Design Capture Clip for times when I am hiking and climbing and need both hands free.
It will be for my Z8 and Z 24-120 lens.
The question is, will it be too heavy a load and uncomfortable to carry on my backpack? Has anyone tried such a combo?
(the question is about backpack style carry, not around belt)

I have no doubt it would be perfect for smaller cameras and lenses, but unsure about my combo...
Many thx for all your comments and answers :)

w46i6y.png

I have no experience using the clip on the backpack. I do use it on my belt to carry my Z7 with 24-200 lens on my hip. I find it a more comfortable solution than my black rapid shoulder strap.

Hi,
I was thinking of getting Peak Design Capture Clip for times when I am hiking and climbing and need both hands free.
It will be for my Z8 and Z 24-120 lens.
The question is, will it be too heavy a load and uncomfortable to carry on my backpack? Has anyone tried such a combo?
(the question is about backpack style carry, not around belt)

I have no doubt it would be perfect for smaller cameras and lenses, but unsure about my combo...
Many thx for all your comments and answers :)

w46i6y.png
I have done several hiking trips with REI attaching Nikon d850 with the 24-120 or d500 with 18-300 without problem. I have attached the clip to the backpack strap as you have in photo as well as used the attachment to place it on the backpack waist band. Both positions work well. Camera is easily accessible and your hands are free or in my case one with a hiking pole. Have been using the PD Capture Clip for many years now,. It made it feasible to transition from point and shoot cameras to DSLRs. I now use it on the Z8 but would not use it with my Z9. For a recent Patagonia trip before I got the Z8, I used it with OM-1.

@OzzySmb, I use a Peak Deasign Capture Clip exactly as you describe on my backpack strap. I don’t find it heavy or uncomfortable at all. I usually carry it with my Canon R5 and Canon 24-105mm f/4L which I’m guessing is similar size/weight to your Z8 and Z 24-120mm.

In fact, I think it’s one of the best photography accessories I own. I love it for hands free hiking and quick access to my camera, always feels secure and easy to use.

Thank you all for quick response and help. It seems I should get one and try it :)

Kinda laughing cause I use it with my Z9 and the 100-400 and have tested it with the 180-600. I use it on a tactical belt as shown. The Spider TOOL Holder (not the camera model) is used for my Monopod. Both of these have served me well to take the weight off. You should be fine with your set up in terms of weight.

Caveats:
Pro Pad helps distribute weight - you may end up wanting that.
You might find that even though the clip holds your camera easily you don't want it on the backpack strap cause it throws the balance off. With your smaller gear it may be fine.

Hope that helps.

1697390111902.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

1697390559902.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Attachments

• 1697390567074.jpeg
    1697390567074.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 22
Back