Question about right-angle viewer DR-5 compatibility

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello all, I would appreciate some help with figuring out whether the DR-5 right angle-viewer from Nikon would work with the Z8 or Z9. The DR-5 is listed as being compatible with the D850, but I can't tell whether the external circular part of the viewfinder on the D850 is the same on the Z8 and Z9.

I realize that the articulating screen on the Z8 and Z9 might make the right angle viewer seem redundant, but I might have a use for it.

There is another right angle viewer as well, the DR-6, but that has a rectangular connection so it would not work with the D850 either.

Thank you.

you might look at eyecups to see how compatible the evf is with the viewfinder. in particular like from the d5 -> z8/z9.

i could have sworn the hoodman/zemlin were derivative of their previous eyecups, but that also implies they were not the same.

perhaps someone here remembers that history. but googling for replacement eyecups for the z9 might find you some details

Many thanks, I skipped buying one on the last day of the Nikon Accessory discount over in the UK. Was looking for one to use with my star tracker and if the Nikon one fitted my camera as well then I would have gone for the Nikon but instead I went for a cheaper third party angle finder.

That's what I have been trying to do with the DR-5 I have left over from the D850. I'm trying to figure a way to adapt it to my Star Tracker polar scope so I don't have to get on my hands and knees to do a polar alignment. I may try to 3D print something one day.

That's what I have been trying to do with the DR-5 I have left over from the D850. I'm trying to figure a way to adapt it to my Star Tracker polar scope so I don't have to get on my hands and knees to do a polar alignment. I may try to 3D print something one day.
This guy does 3D printing for attachment of angle finders to Star Trackers.

Not an easy web site to navigate but he does adaptors for the DR-6 not so sure if he does one for the DR-5.

@Ad Astra It doesn't work on the Z8, sadly, as @cagreen indicated.

@cagreen The move-shoot-move tracker people have an adapter that allows the DR-5 to work with a polar scope. Their polar scope is also compatible with EQ-5, so it appears to be a standard one. You could see if that adapter works for you.

Back