Question on ethics & use of blinds

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Two questions that I am having some trouble finding answers on and thought I'd put them out to this wonderful group:

1. There's an ebird "hotspot" near my home next to a pond just off of a public road, no houses or anything in the immediate vicinity. There are two very old, falling apart, blinds on either side of the pond, no private property or no trespassing signage or anything like that, no fences either. Is this fair game to set up in and use? Any suggestions on finding the owner or responsible party so I can ask explicit permission? I'm guessing it was used for duck hunting at some point or another but there were human tracks in the area so it does look like it's in at least occasional use. I've driven by a few times and haven't seen anyone else around so not sure where to turn.

2. I'd like to setup a portable blind within a national park, off of an established but very lighly used trail. I can't find anything specific from the park service on whether this would be allowed, has anyone done this?

Appreciate any guidance or recommendations!

Two questions that I am having some trouble finding answers on and thought I'd put them out to this wonderful group:

1. There's an ebird "hotspot" near my home next to a pond just off of a public road, no houses or anything in the immediate vicinity. There are two very old, falling apart, blinds on either side of the pond, no private property or no trespassing signage or anything like that, no fences either. Is this fair game to set up in and use? Any suggestions on finding the owner or responsible party so I can ask explicit permission? I'm guessing it was used for duck hunting at some point or another but there were human tracks in the area so it does look like it's in at least occasional use. I've driven by a few times and haven't seen anyone else around so not sure where to turn.

2. I'd like to setup a portable blind within a national park, off of an established but very lighly used trail. I can't find anything specific from the park service on whether this would be allowed, has anyone done this?

Appreciate any guidance or recommendations!
I would go to the County Courthouse and check the Plats. That will tell you who owns the land so you can ask permission. As a land owner, I can tell you that it is quite frustrating when people trespass (for me it is usually hunters). Asking politely makes a good 1st impression. It is also helpful if you volunteer to help, maybe with trail maintenance or some such.

As far as the blind on National Park land, I would definitely check with Park rangers, preferably with a supervisor. Park rules seem to be somewhat open to interpretation where photography and video goes and can vary from one ranger to the next.

Last edited:
As a farmer and landowner, my advice is to follow frdjohns recommendation. Until you know otherwise don't go on the property. If that landlord accuses you of trespassing then you have a problem. Most landowners will give you permission if you just ask and tell them what you are doing. They will probably be interested in seeing the images you produce. Yearly, I help the state falconry group to get permission to hunt with their birds of prey on thousands of acres of land. Rarely ever have I been turned down for that or for my wildlife photography.

Each state has its own laws regarding private property and trespassing. In Texas, you don't have to have anything but a post painted purple to mark private property. You certainly cannot cross a fence or abandoned fence line.

I have seen it time and time again where people come onto my land without permission and more often than not it is for nefarious reasons. I don't know how many times people have said they had permission to be on the land that I own or rent. My first question is to ask who gave the permission. I don't allow hunting on my land and neither do my other landowners that I farm their land. I have been lied to and have even called the sheriff's office when people have refused to leave. I have seen dumping, leaving shell casings and even bullet holes in my irrigation systems. Its no fun to go pick up a bunch of trash that someone dumped on your land. I think most Landowners will think you are conscientious if you take the time and effort to ask.

County plats show an out of state trust holding title but got an address at least and will get in contact with them to ask permission before taking a step off the road. Saw some sandhill cranes there the other morning but they were too far off the road to get a good shots but would have been great from the blind. Might be a project for next summer as they will be out of here soon. But all good things to know.

Stumped the park rangers with my other question. Had a whole crew of them eventually weighing in with no clear answer but will be following up with their commercial use office to get another opinion on whether that would require a special use permit.

Appreciate the responses and insight.

Back