Question Re: Purchase of Used Z9 From MPB

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

After much consideration, I've finally decided to purchase a used Z9 as a back-up body to my first Z9, and am considering purchasing from MPB. They have several listed as "like new" and "excellent" condition. The prices are significantly lower than the used Z9s listed on B&H, and around $1,300 - $1,500 (US) less than a new one.
I have never purchased from MPB and would like to hear from those of you who have personal knowledge of the company. My main concerns are:
USA model vs. grey market (I'm in the US)
Shutter count
Warranty - I know it's 6 months, but how reliable is it?
Pros, Cons, any other thoughts on what I should consider?
Many thanks!

I’ve used MPB in the past. No issues. However, there is no way to tell if their Z9 is a US unit. Since it is used, I’m not sure that matters. Think Nikon changed their policy of not working on gray market, when you are paying for all work. No idea how good the MPB warranty may be.

I’ve used MPB in the past. No issues. However, there is no way to tell if their Z9 is a US unit. Since it is used, I’m not sure that matters. Think Nikon changed their policy of not working on gray market, when you are paying for all work. No idea how good the MPB warranty may be.
Thank you. I was afraid that there might not be a way to be certain that the unit I purchase is a US one. The information that Nikon USA has on their website as regards "grey market" gear in general is that they will work on it IF it is purchased from an authorized US dealer. What I understand that to mean is that you're on your own & good luck should you own a grey market item that needs work (even when out of warranty). I did not see MPB on the Nikon list of authorized dealers.
I'll be calling MPB later this AM when they open (9AM EST) and see what their response is.

Shutter count
Roland Vink's site lists the known Z9 serial numbers for different parts of the world - though it not an "official" Nikon source
Any seller can easily provide the current shutter count.

In the UK MPB have a reputation for offering "peanuts" prices when buying in Nikon - and selling at lower prices than their competitors.
They have never offered me a quote even to the best from other sources.

I have never purchased from MPB and would like to hear from those of you who have personal knowledge of the company. My main concerns are:
Shutter count
Many thanks!
Gray Market Concerns: Nikon USA is clear that gray market items are not eligible for warranty service. Given that your Z9 would be previously owned that isn’t an issue. There has been some debate here on BCG Forums about whether Nikon USA will provide any service at all for gray market items. My own experience is that when I needed service on an out of warranty D90, I was required to provide proof that the camera was purchased new from an authorized retailer. Fortunately I had the receipt. The experience reported by some others has been that Nikon USA has done non-warranty service without proof of purchase as a new item from an authorized retailer. I suggest you call Nikon USA for clarification.

Shutter Count; Given that the Z9 doesn’t have a mechanical shutter, I’d have less concern about shutter count. More important is the overall condition of the camera and service provided by MPB if needed during the warranty period they offer. Another option is to buy a refurbished Z9 from Nikon USA. The price is usually $1000 below new and you’ll have no concern about getting service in the future. FYI, Nikon USA’s warranty on refurbished products is 90 days from purchase.

Roland Vink's site lists the known Z9 serial numbers for different parts of the world - though it not an "official" Nikon source
Any seller can easily provide the current shutter count.

In the UK MPB have a reputation for offering "peanuts" prices when buying in Nikon - and selling at lower prices than their competitors.
They have never offered me a quote even to the best from other sources.
Thank you for the link to that site. I had no idea such a thing existed.

After much consideration, I've finally decided to purchase a used Z9 as a back-up body to my first Z9, and am considering purchasing from MPB. They have several listed as "like new" and "excellent" condition. The prices are significantly lower than the used Z9s listed on B&H, and around $1,300 - $1,500 (US) less than a new one.
Shutter count
Many thanks!
1) Gray Market - MPB has a generous return policy. If you buy it, contact Nikon with the SN and if they say that it is a GM, return it.
2) Shutter count - irrelevant in a camera that doesn't have a shutter. It's impossible for one to know how the camera was used; sparingly for stills or extensively for video. Personally, I would be more concerned about the conditions the camera was used (near the ocean, in the rain, dropped, etc.). This is really difficult to discern.
3) Warranty - 6 mo - that's great. Buy one off of FM or elsewhere and there is no warranty.

It's rare, though not impossible that the camera (or lens) could be a lemon. More commonly, people sell to MPB because they are liquidating to another system or no longer need the particular item. Having bought and sold hundreds of lenses/bodies from LCS, ebay, FM, MPB, KEH, B&H, and elsewhere, with few exceptions I've had good experiences. Once you receive the camera, put it through the paces, inspecting in externally and internally (insofar as possible) making sure that the mount is ok, the buttons/switches work, the ports function, the hot shoe works, the card slots work, etc. Again, check the status with Nikon and if everything checks out, enjoy the camera.

Gray Market Concerns: Nikon USA is clear that gray market items are not eligible for warranty service. Given that your Z9 would be previously owned that isn’t an issue. There has been some debate here on BCG Forums about whether Nikon USA will provide any service at all for gray market items. My own experience is that when I needed service on an out of warranty D90, I was required to provide proof that the camera was purchased new from an authorized retailer. Fortunately I had the receipt. The experience reported by some others has been that Nikon USA has done non-warranty service without proof of purchase as a new item from an authorized retailer. I suggest you call Nikon USA for clarification.

Shutter Count; Given that the Z9 doesn’t have a mechanical shutter, I’d have less concern about shutter count. More important is the overall condition of the camera and service provided by MPB if needed during the warranty period they offer. Another option is to buy a refurbished Z9 from Nikon USA. The price is usually $1000 below new and you’ll have no concern about getting service in the future. FYI, Nikon USA’s warranty on refurbished products is 90 days from purchase.
Thank you for that detailed info.
I have been considering purchasing a refurbished Z9 from Nikon.USA. That was "Plan B".

1) Gray Market - MPB has a generous return policy. If you buy it, contact Nikon with the SN and if they say that it is a GM, return it.
2) Shutter count - irrelevant in a camera that doesn't have a shutter. It's impossible for one to know how the camera was used; sparingly for stills or extensively for video. Personally, I would be more concerned about the conditions the camera was used (near the ocean, in the rain, dropped, etc.). This is really difficult to discern.
3) Warranty - 6 mo - that's great. Buy one off of FM or elsewhere and there is no warranty.

It's rare, though not impossible that the camera (or lens) could be a lemon. More commonly, people sell to MPB because they are liquidating to another system or no longer need the particular item. Having bought and sold hundreds of lenses/bodies from LCS, ebay, FM, MPB, KEH, B&H, and elsewhere, with few exceptions I've had good experiences. Once you receive the camera, put it through the paces, inspecting in externally and internally (insofar as possible) making sure that the mount is ok, the buttons/switches work, the ports function, the hot shoe works, the card slots work, etc. Again, check the status with Nikon and if everything checks out, enjoy the camera.
Thank you!
I was planning on thoroughly checking the camera out - no matter where I purchase it. FWIW, I've had excellent experiences purchasing used equipment from another forum I've been a member of for over 10 years.

Back