Questions for Nikon Z8 + 180-600mm lens owners

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi everyone,
I just got this combo, and I have a few questions:
How do you store it? Vertically with lens hood on ground? Sideways? Lens foot on ground holding the rest up? Separate lens and camera?
Also, any backpacks you can recommend to hold this combo tightly while also leaving room for a few other accessories?
Last, how do you hold the combo out in the field - by the lens foot or something else?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I got Z8 and z186 before z600pf. I set up the first combo (z8+z186+TC1.4) on a gimbal tripod (balance it). It stayed that way all the time even out in the field. After acquiring z600pf, z186 stayed on the tripod alone, and a new combo (z8+z600pf+TC1.4) dawned. I carry the combo with a strap and handhold to shoot when in use. When not used, I store the combo sideway with the memory card side up. When changing the combo, I just removed z8 and TC to z186 on the tripod. I don't have a backpack for either combo yet.

I have that setup. Unless I am using a tripod, I remove the collar/foot entirely to save weight. I have a conventional neck strap (with thick suede on top for more comfort) and usually carry it with the strap over one shoulder (occasionally switching shoulders). I can store it in either of my two camera backpacks as long as I reverse the hood (though honestly I usually leave it just sitting on the floor of my computer room).

Hi everyone,
I just got this combo, and I have a few questions:
How do you store it? Vertically with lens hood on ground? Sideways? Lens foot on ground holding the rest up? Separate lens and camera?
Also, any backpacks you can recommend to hold this combo tightly while also leaving room for a few other accessories?
Last, how do you hold the combo out in the field - by the lens foot or something else?
Thanks!
I had this combo for a while and still have the Z8 and other long lenses. I wouldn't store it vertically as unless it's secured it would be pretty easy to knock over. I generally store the lens attached to a camera body in a camera pack that's generally lying down. I use an older Lowepro Flipside AW II 400 pack that carries that lens and a Z8 as long as I reversed the lens hood and has room for other camera gear or water bottles or other things inside plus a zip pocket on the outside that can carry a jacket and some food or other things.

In the field when it's out of the pack I either just hand carry it by the lens foot or I wear a Black Rapid strap attached to the lens foot via either the 1/4x20 screw that comes with the strap or via a QD connector for aftermarket lens feet/plates that have the QD socket. When I bring it up to shoot I'll either rest the lens foot in my left palm or spin the lens foot around to the top of the lens and cradle the lens body in my left hand.

If I'm putting the lens away for longer term storage or shooting with another lens then I'll separate the gear and put caps on the unused lens before storing it but when I owned that lens and with other similarly sized long lenses like the 500mm PF I tend to just leave it attached to the body and store it in my smaller camera pack (the Flipside 400 AW II) as it's my go to kit for a lot of local photography and walk around uses in good wildlife habitat so I generally keep that kit ready to go.

Most photographers have their own preferred method carrying equipment.
When not in use I store mine in the substantial shoulder style bag it comes in from Nikon.
There is space for a Z8 attached to the lens in the bag though I prefer to carry a camera body separately.

The tripod collar cannot be removed being the ball bearing type though part of the foot can be removed.
In the field I carry mine often with a body attached upside down with a long Arca Swiss type plate attached to the foot.
The foot has a 1/4 and a 3/8 inch screw fitting which limits plate choice unless you convert the 3/8 to 1/4 fitting.

For those thinking about a plate with just one screw fitting, I do not recommend this as the lens weight is too much for a single screw fitting to prevent the lens swivelling on a tripod head.

Back