R5 Mark II freezing and other issues

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Matt N

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I bought the R5 Mark II for my wife a couple of months ago and it's had a few issues:
  • Freezes up sometimes when trying to preview photos. Requires removing the battery to resolve.
  • When using the RF 100-500 lens and shooting at 500mm F 7.1, it would not auto adjust the aperture when zooming out to 100mm. Other times it worked fine.
  • Today if froze up just after turning it on for the first time. No buttons worked. Required removing the batttery to resolve.
I am on the latest firmware. Have others experienced these issues?

What do I do?
  1. Expect these on a new model and wait for more firmware updates
  2. Contact Canon for a warranty claim
  3. Toss it out the car window and buy my wife a Z8 (just kidding)

I support option 3. :)

for 1, I'm guessing there's a card write/activity light, is it on when these freezes happen? I wonder if it's a bad card. Have you tried different ones?

2...if you're in aperture priority, or manual, this seems normal to me? It's 7.1 minimum at the long end (500mm) right?

3, see my comments on 1

I've tried two different CF Express cards, both cards worked fine on the original R5. The freeze has occurred on both cards. For bullet 1, when it freezes. on preview, it was shooting single shot, so there's no chance of a buffer issue. For bullet 3, the freeze was just after turning the camera on, so no pictures taken, so it can't be a buffer issue there either. I wouldn't expect the card to affect that scenario.

Okay, I understand now. I guess it's possible that I have TWO bad cards...both are Delkin Black. Would it be reading/writing to the card when you turn on the camera?

I bought the R5 Mark II for my wife a couple of months ago and it's had a few issues:
  • Freezes up sometimes when trying to preview photos. Requires removing the battery to resolve.
  • When using the RF 100-500 lens and shooting at 500mm F 7.1, it would not auto adjust the aperture when zooming out to 100mm. Other times it worked fine.
  • Today if froze up just after turning it on for the first time. No buttons worked. Required removing the batttery to resolve.
I am on the latest firmware. Have others experienced these issues?

What do I do?
  1. Expect these on a new model and wait for more firmware updates
  2. Contact Canon for a warranty claim
  3. Toss it out the car window and buy my wife a Z8 (just kidding)

A few colleagues (who absolutely love the camera) are experiencing the same issues and waiting for a firmware fix. There are comments and ideas all over Reddit and DPR. Card/memory seems to be the common issue. Assuming the cards are empty and formatted on that camera? One guy is experiencing less freezing after doing it.

Today, I put the card in at home, turned it on and reformatted it (in-camera), then turned it off and put it in the camera bag. When I got to location, I turned on the camera again and it was completely frozen from the start. The screen worked and showed everything, but no buttons worked.

Other times when it's frozen it was after shooting for a while, but the card was always reformatted at the start of the day.

Matt, here are some suggestions:
  1. Copy your camera settings to a card, and then copy them to your computer. (Safety first!)
  2. Reset camera to factory defaults.
  3. Ensure that there are no cards in the camera.
  4. Set the camera to A+ mode (full auto).
  5. Take photos.
If you are unsure of how to do #1 or #2, please let me know.

… David

Last edited:
I'd try a new, non-Delkin card. But first, try a deep format on a computer. Plug it in and go to disk management and when you find the card, do a deep format. Then re-format in the camera. I'd just do one card, if it works then do the other. That is what Delkin recommends. If that doesn't work, I'd buy a different card. I had an issue with an older Delkin Black in one of my Z9's (I have dedicated cards for each body and buy new cards when I buy a new body) that I suspect had an old firmware/architecture that may have been to blame. The other thing to consider WRT cards is that we are now running many more cycles than the old days due to the higher fps rates the cameras are capable of. Flash memory has a finite number of write/read cycles before it starts acting up.

Back